What's new

Barber Half in the front yard

BeenFishin

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2016
Messages
323
Reaction score
1,213
Golden Thread
1
Location
Eastern Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro Detech Ultimate 13"
Whites V3i
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out for a couple hours yesterday at a new permission. Within the first 20 minutes of hunting i got the best coin ive gotten all year! Cleaned up a bunch of clad by the front door, then turned around to a blasting 89/91 on my MXT. Since ive been used to seeing these numbers on hella deep iron i figured i would be digging another plow blade. Low and behold i popped a 1901 S Barber Half Dollar at 5-6 inches. I have dirty pics of it but they are a bit blurry so i took a couple more after i added it to the collection. I also dug a merc, but who cares about that?

image2(1).webpimage1(1).webp
 
Upvote 50
outstanding.gif
Nice find! Thanks for sharing...
 
Love that plow blade. :notworthy:
 
great pick up!

And probably one of the few times you'd wish it would have been a quarter (with that date) instead of a half dollar
 
great pick up!

And probably one of the few times you'd wish it would have been a quarter (with that date) instead of a half dollar

The funny thing is the rest of the hunt i probably pulled up 5 bucks in clad quarters varying from 1-8 inches. One hole had 6 quarters in it. Every time i heard that quarter signal i got my hopes up. Maybe next time i go there i will find one! Unfortunately i think the whole front yard had been filled sometime within the last 50 years or so. Hence the deep clad. I didnt have time to hit the back yard but im going to find time!

Thanks!
 
Well a merc is good but a Barber Half is GREAT. Nice score.
 
Congrats on the Barber half!
 
Greater find. There is more to be found. Keep looking.
 
Barber Halves are hard to find, I scratched my first one, 1/2" down in leaves, used digger to scratch the leaves out of the way when I was a rookie.... 27 years later, I have only found 3 more, but, "I learned my lesson !!!!" A great looking coin for your collection....
 
"I also dug a merc, but who cares about that?"

I do-------------I do.
 
And you found it in a crisp white cardboard coin holder, Congrats! If you rebury a half will it grow up to be a whole? Nice finds, no kidding. Congrats!
 
Nice big silver find! :occasion14:
 
Welcome to the Barber half Club!! And that one is a fairly low mintage. Congratulations!!
 
I'm with Bamadad........I care about the Merc!! Still lookin' for one.......and a Barber half. You done GREAT!!
 
Thanks for all the support everyone! Sorry i didnt post a pic of the merc. Better late then never i guess.

IMG_8924.webp
 
Bea-ut-iful coin :icon_thumleft:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom