Baton Rouge High School

Pimp Lenin

Apr 4, 2006
The Great State of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
P.O.S.
Another post here started to make me think about my old high school, Baton Rouge High, which is located on Government Street. I graduated from there in 1997. The main building on the present campus was built in 1925, and from what I’ve read in the press is in need of some serious upgrades.

I was wondering if anyone has detected on the campus, or thought about it. I suspect there are some goodies there. Thanks goodness the gravesite of the mascot, Butch the Bulldog, is marked!

I haven’t been back to that school since the night of my graduation. I hear it is now in sad shape. :(

roceda

Nov 12, 2007
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Pimp Linen. I also graduated from Baton Rouge High, class of 1960. Those were the real "happy days". Yes, I'm an old guy and still like to play in the dirt. The school building is indeed in need of some serious renovations. It is really a shame that such a historic building is falling into ruin. I've never hunted the grounds, but I bet I lost some coins around there somewhere. Thanks for stirring up my fond memories of my old school. Ron.

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
I pass by there almost daily and have often thought of detecting it. Maybe early one Sat morning I will get out there. Would I need special permission or do you think its considered public property? There are so many places down town I see that are detector worthy! Some of those areas I would quite frankly be kind of cautious being in due to violence and such. i have a couple of leads on some that would be ok during a week day or what not.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to work on Govt Street, down by Acadian Thruway. I always admired the architecture style of old school buildings, not too many of them left around. I do not recall the Fleur de Lis, but defiantly BRHS.

BRHS.jpg

OP
OP
Pimp Lenin

Pimp Lenin

Apr 4, 2006
The Great State of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
P.O.S.
Shanegalang,

I don't know what kind of permission you would need, or who to ask. The building in on the National Register of Historic Places, so I don't know if that protects the grounds or not. Have they begun any restoration work yet, and if so are they still holding classes there? I was wondering if for a year or two if they would have to relocate the students elsewhere. If I recall correctly, I remember reading that the building is in such bad shape that the entire third floor is considered unsafe to use!

It is not in the best of neighborhoods, but I think you would be okay there during the day. Also, there is a lot of traffic on Government Street so there will always be someone else around.

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey again pimp........I passed there this morning but it was still dark so I couldnt tell if they are working on the building or not. I'm pretty sure there are still classes there. I will check it out when I pass during the day. Cheers, Shanegalang

mikeslater

Feb 25, 2009
Walker, LA
Detector(s) used
GTP 1350
I hunted BRHS with no problems, that was pre 9/11 though. Im finding alot of stuff fenced in nowadays.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread