What's new

Beach Metal Detecting to be banned in Mass. effective July 1

Mi$terG

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2013
Messages
660
Reaction score
572
Golden Thread
1
Location
Eastern MA
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
All:

Not sure if you've seen the post in another forum on T-Net, but apparently there is a new law about to go into effect (July 1) which will ban the use of metal detectors on all DCR beaches (basically all public beaches). There is a petition that has been started that I urge you to sign and to pass on to as many people as you can. Once detecting is banned on MA beaches, it opens the door to bans in other states. Lets try to stop this insanity if we can. Thanks. I will attach a link to the petition below.

MoveOn Petitions - Commissioner Jack Murray: Stop the banning of metal detecting on Massachusetts beaches
 
Upvote 0
Better hit it hard and fast if it's true!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet
 
Doesn't surprise me one bit. Next they will be arresting kids for digging in the sand with a plastic shovel.
 
One of the reasons we didn't need those TV shows.
When the TV series show detectorist acting like idiots the public decides we all act like that and want to get rid of us.
Thats the mindset of the PUBLIC they can't think for themselves anymore and follow the bandwagon.
 
Lost items recovery- I plan on it, just incase it is my last hurrah MD'ing the beaches.

They did actually yell at the kids mother, not for digging but the boy was feeding the birds!

The public is easily swayed if they don' know the truth. The insurance commercial tee'd me off more.
First the prospector looking in the window at jewelry, then the MD'er ripping the gold chain off a guys neck. Classy real classy! They must not like Treasure hunters at that AD agency!
 
signed the petition!!!!

good luck!
 
Does anyone have any idea if there is even a realistic chance of this working (stopping the ban)? I know that we have to at least try... But I know that in this state it would be unwise to get our hopes up.
 
MoveOn.org can pound sand. Bunch of commie pukes.
 
MiSterG- I hear you but try we must! I am hoping they will back off on the beach closure for now. I do believe it was a goal of theirs for a long time and they won't be happy till they rule it all! I will be sad if they win, there will be nothing left for me at the beach I will then have to go out of state to have fun, or learn how to scuba dive! Lol!

Fitzwilk- I understand what you are saying. There are lines you just can't cross sometimes and live with yourself. Never I my wildest dreams did I ever think I would be signing a petition on that sight! It is becoming a strange world we live in.
I will ask Barker if there is a separate petition not on that site for people that can't sign that one. I don't think many of us subscribe to it, it was just that the opportunity to create petitions was given on that site and Roger, the OP used it for that. I don't know who he is, yet. The one thing I am most surprised about is how quietly this was all done and shoved under the radar, since Aug. that surprises me!
 
Going to your city meetings each week is something everyone should do. Find out where they are.... and start going. Once you are comfortable then start bringing up metal detecting. Get to know your commissioner for your area too. It makes a big difference.
 
Fitzwilk- when BARKER posts all the e-mail addresses, phone #'s, and contact info for the powers that hoisted this MD'ing ban on us you can contact them and express your displeasure at what they have done!
 
Going to your city meetings each week is something everyone should do. Find out where they are.... and start going. Once you are comfortable then start bringing up metal detecting. Get to know your commissioner for your area too. It makes a big difference.

I am not in Boston, don't think it would have been mentioned at our city meetings. Waiting to see who all are responsible for this mess. They will hear from me!
 
Who the hell do these people think they are in government that they can do this to "the people"?!! This is going on all over this once great country with not just metal detecting, but everything dealing with our God given, Constitutional and Bill of Rights freedoms by our "elected representatives in government" and it is truly sad that we the people have been deceived into thinking that we must just lay down and accept this because we are powerless. We have to get out of this mindset that its "us" and "them" and that they have all the power and we must just accept what they dish out,,,
Sign the petitions, organize lawful peaceful protests, get the media and legal representation involved, and remove from positions of government those that think they can do whatever they want for their own benefit and not for the common good of the people... This country is in a bad place when you see the government making one set of rules for itself (to its own benefit) and another set of rules for the populace (often to our detriment)... Is it already too late to save this country... Only "we the people" can answer that... Good Luck and God speed!
 
Just want to pass along an update: Roger Barbrick the OP of the petition has requested a meeting with the DCR COMMISSION. We have no date yet, but when we get one word needs to spread fast so, the more people that can show up at this meeting the better. BARKER will post the time and place when they get it.

(I hope no fast ones are pulled as to the timing and place of the meeting). ...I need to be more trustful of our powers that be...Lol!
 
Update: Roger met with an official of the commissioners they are going to suspend the law until there has been a face to face meeting with the commissioner, Ron will let us know the date and time of that meeting. He has also gotten letters of support from every Harbor Master in the state, and he has called on the MD dealers and others to lend their support in this.
 
That sounds really encouraging. Thanks for the update. If there's a public hearing I am there.
 
UPDATE: Ron reports that the DCR is suspending the MD'ing ban until there has been a formal face to face meeting with Roger, Ron, and those of us that show up to express our concerns. At that time they will review, and revise the law to take into consideration the concerns of all involved. They have gotten an OVERWHELMING amount of communication on this it has GOTTEN THEIR ATTENTION!!! We still have to show up at this meeting can't drop the ball now!
Roger, Ron, and all involved thank ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE HELPED IN ANY WAY. -THANK YOU!!! We would not gotten to this point with out you!
Ron will keep the info coming in as he gets it.
 
Anyone a member of the FMDAC? They may help as well as getting some petitions from the clubs. If they dont see this as a problem coming their way then they arent looking into the future.

Dew
 
This is why I take pic,s of every thing I find, some day i may need to show what we take off the beaches !
 
I am pretty sure FMDAC and another has been notified. The clubs here also. a T Net member who has pics of all his trash was kind enough to send them to Roger, as a lot of others did.

If they are alarmed at the amount of phone calls and emails they have received from us, it must have been a lot!
This hobby is world wide. We have to keep the pressure on.

I'm not too fond of them trying "align all the rules", because the DCR parks have been off limits for a while, only the beaches were open to us. The reason given: we might find something 50 years old - an artifact!
Even the Feds go with 100 years old it's an artifact, not 50!
 
Who should the pressure (phone calls and emails) be directed towards? I plan to do some writing this weekend and I want to make sure we are organized and applying pressure to the same pressure points. Thanks to everyone who is helping this cause.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom