Beach Question

forthillbillies

Greenie
Jun 27, 2011
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett GTAx 750, Garrett Pro Pointer
We metal detect as a family. We've practiced quite a bit in our yard and this year ventured out to a local beach. $1.56 in clad, very excited. Today we were in Duluth and decided to check out Park Point beach. We spent about an hour and found one penny! Not even a poptab!! This was softer sand so we played around with the sensitivity settings. Nothing!! Bad settings, or just that clean of a beach? We would get beeps that sounded strong, but when we went over them again from various angles, NOTHING! Any pointers would be appreciated. Thank you.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Questions and Advise!!!!!

What detector are You using????
Are you discriminating????
Fresh or Salt water????

Turn the Sensitivity all the way Up And Don't Discriminate!!! HH Chug

OP
OP
forthillbillies

forthillbillies

Greenie
Jun 27, 2011
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett GTAx 750, Garrett Pro Pointer
Sorry! Garrett ACE 250, and Garrett GTAx 750. The ACE was on jewelry mode with sensitivity any where from 4 to maxed out. The GTAx was on beach mode with sensitivity anywhere from 3 to maxed out. Both of these modes discriminate iron and foil range. It was fresh water on Lake Superior. Thank you!

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like a clean beach to me, but you can always switch to all metal mode and make sure.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is a late reply but we detected that beach with the same results before. Someone is keeping that beach clean!!!! I think we found a couple of coins and a few pieces of foil out there. Doesn't mean you won't find something out there--right place at the right time. I think your detectors are probably working fine. Bury a coin and see how it responds next time you are wondering if the beach is clean or your detector is not working. HH

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
When I detect an area and find little or nothing, I hit the periphery of the area. Finding items definitely increases.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I don't know for sure the reasons, but my dad & I detected Pk Pt over 30 years ago & didn't find anything. Most parks in Duluth-Superior were made in late 1800s-early 1900s & many old schoolyards. Would think those places would be somewhat to very much more productive, even though most have been heavily detected for decades. Private yards may produce but permission needed.

Coins sink fast in soft sand & are more likely to be on edge. Beaches are probably the most over-rated places to detect. Many who detect them with success use $1,000+ detectors that might beep on something a foot deep. But most rings are lost in waist-deep water and parks & schools will offer modern coins & sometimes more.

Maybe the sand gets bulldozed or beach cleaners pick up the coins or winds add sand. Wonder if a storm could make coins shallower in spots?

Remember when you start going out to Park Point going by Franklin Tot-Lot? Playground with *huge* trees? Reserved for a park in 1856! My dad & I tried Washington Square on E Superior, a little park with a small backstop for little neighbor kids to play ball. Area platted 1871. Best place we found! A T-Net post recently mentioned good finds from East High. Best wishes, George (MN)

ragu

Dec 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Maybe its the ice? When the ice comes in on the shores of superior it pushes EVERYTHING back..... The ice can be feet thick and jagged if you visit in the winter. Check back by the berm! more towards that grass that grows that you can't walk on. I would guess things settle there! Goodluck!
Park-Point-Beach-Brett-Groe.jpg

Last edited:

B&E prospecting

Feb 9, 2013
I lived in Duluth for about a yr1/2 and one of the local coworkers suggested Park Point for detecting. I went there with my fiancé both armed with Bounty Hunter style detectors and found less than 20 cents all day and that was at the beginning of the beach. Come to find out quite a few folks detect there and have for yrs. fun day at the beach just not very productive beeps or buzzes

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions