Beautiful 1870 INDIAN HEAD, 2 Round Balls

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't get back to Pine Tree Point today but I had my eyes on a spot that I was pretty excited to check out. Very early settlement and an area where they would meet to get supplies off a boat and meet the boat to go to town. Very hard to get to which is what I like. So off I go through the woods. I knew the only way to get there came very close to private property but thought I was all set....Wrong! I walked into a spot and there were posted signs everywhere. Icy cold river on one side and private property on the other. Back I went, a bit dejected. I went home for a bit and then decided to go to a spot pretty close back that's on a salt water bay.
I've got an F75 LTD right now that I'm trying out. Thanks to a man who's name is an alcoholic beverage made from grapes :-). Anyway I took it to this spot that I've hunted quite a few times before. Pome of the first signals was a coin. Figured it was an IH but it was sealed in a crusty container. Sometimes coin next to the ocean will get sealed in this crap. Sometimes it's a cures and sometimes it's a blessing. I didn't hunt long because I'm about to have a very busy afternoon. So I found a couple of round balls and that was about it. I so wish I had taken a pic before I stuck this thing in the very hot hp but I never thought I would be posting it. Once I started to get it cleaned up I could see that it actually looked pretty nice underneath. These Indian heads are the toughest coppers in my opinion. They seem to often clean up well and can take some hot hp baths.
I normally wouldn't post a single IH but this one is a nice date in decent shape I wanted to show how well it cleaned up. It's got a ways to go but I'm out the door. Thanks for looking
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Let me say the F75 LTD is a damn impressive machine. Very impressed with it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 154
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Upvote 10

I-DIG-IT

Silver Member
Mar 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs. I.H. is in very nice shape, nice save on that one. The F75 is keeper for sure.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice IHC. The detail is just awesome. Congrats Abe. GL&HH.

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some very nice detail on the IH. Why isn't there a tree coin of some type of Spanish silver or colonial gold? Sounds like your slacking a bit bud. Haha. What's the weather like up there. I tried getting out today but its a mess.did get a few old buttons and a strap guide (shield) i think. Hopefully everyone can get out a few more times before we hibernate.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs....lol..
I dont know anyone on here named wine?? Lol..

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow Abe that came out killer! Is the HP you use just standard off the shelf hydrogen peroxide or is it something different? I've got a couple I need to try this on.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Abe that came out killer! Is the HP you use just standard off the shelf hydrogen peroxide or is it something different? I've got a couple I need to try this on.
It sure is. I had a few Indians that I thought were never going to clean up so I just through em all together in some super hot peroxide and let em sit over night. Hit em in the morning with a soft toothbrush and was amazed at how well they came out. The are very resilient for copper coins

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Great looking IH. It's amazing how good those come out with a peroxide bath. Not to turn this into a thread about detectors but as a T2SE user myself I was convinced that the F75LTD had to be better because is has more features and cost more. I broke down and bought one and quickly decided that for my type of detecting (colonial sites) the T2 is perfect. Other than the back light, setting memory, and a couple other preset programs think the two detectors are the same. I really like the simplicity of the T2. FWIW, I do plan to send my T2 in for the Enhanced upgrade when they start the program next month.

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Ahab8, good save and it cleaned up great. Still has sharp crisp details, nice semi key! In average circulated condition that is a 140.00 penny you got there! I found an 1870 myself and by the time I got it out of the hole, it had a nice digger gouge on it.....bummer

Last edited:

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the Indians any day I find one is a good detecting day and it lets me know I'm on a good site.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great coin Ab, congrats. I hope you can get back to your Pine Tree point before the ground turns to concrete.
ZDD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread