Beautiful Barber, Bullets And I Got BUSTED!!!

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out early Sunday morning to get some detecting time in before having to finish my weekend chores. I went to an old school that I've been wanting to try for a while. Not a lot of signals but found a few old coins and one turned out to be one of the nicest Barbers I've ever dug and to top it off it's from New Orleans! I forget that old coins have this kind of detail because most all the ones I dig have seen lots of hands before being lost. I finished off there with a few wheats a couple of Mercs and 3 Shell President tokens from a spill.

Monday evening after the eclipse my buddy Micah and I hit a construction site that was a Civil War camp. We hunted here before on the first phase of construction and found a few bullets and buttons. This time around was about the same and we were able to save some more lead and Micah dug a nice knapsack hook. We decided to go back again last night and it ended up being a nice night for first for me. The first signal I got was a bullet and was a nice way to start. I dug a few pieces of trash and got another bullet signal on the Etrac but was surprised to see a tiny little thin piece of silver in the plug. I saw a faint detail of the eagle and I couldn't get water on it fast enough to confirm that I had just dug my first Capped Bust coin of any kind! I believe it's an 1832 but it's hard to see the last number. She's worn down to about nothing but I'm still grinning and replaying that moment in my head. I tried to get some good pics but it was getting too dark. I couldn't focus on detecting after that but managed to find a few more bullets before leaving. I cleaned everything up when I got home and I was thrilled to see two more first for me. One bullet is a Swage Base from being chucked in a lathe to cut the grooves and another is a .69 caliber French Triangle base! It's great to be able to save these relics because it won't be long before it's all covered up. HH-David

Attachments

• Finds  (1).jpeg
    Finds (1).jpeg
    191.2 KB · Views: 163
  • Finds  (3).jpeg
    Finds (3).jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 153
  • Finds  (2).jpeg
    Finds (2).jpeg
    739 KB · Views: 144
  • Finds  (5).jpeg
    Finds (5).jpeg
    168 KB · Views: 138
  • Finds  (6).jpeg
    Finds (6).jpeg
    186.7 KB · Views: 137
  • Finds  (7).jpeg
    Finds (7).jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 144
  • Finds  (8).jpeg
    Finds (8).jpeg
    160.6 KB · Views: 138
  • Finds  (4).jpeg
    Finds (4).jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 147
Upvote 47

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow,, very sweet hunt,, no way I would get the rest of the weekend chores done after a hunt like that. lol
Congrats

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your hunts, and your first Capped Bust coin. You sure pulled some nice items.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out early Sunday morning to get some detecting time in before having to finish my weekend chores. I went to an old school that I've been wanting to try for a while. Not a lot of signals but found a few old coins and one turned out to be one of the nicest Barbers I've ever dug and to top it off it's from New Orleans! I forget that old coins have this kind of detail because most all the ones I dig have seen lots of hands before being lost. I finished off there with a few wheats a couple of Mercs and 3 Shell President tokens from a spill.

Monday evening after the eclipse my buddy Micah and I hit a construction site that was a Civil War camp. We hunted here before on the first phase of construction and found a few bullets and buttons. This time around was about the same and we were able to save some more lead and Micah dug a nice knapsack hook. We decided to go back again last night and it ended up being a nice night for first for me. The first signal I got was a bullet and was a nice way to start. I dug a few pieces of trash and got another bullet signal on the Etrac but was surprised to see a tiny little thin piece of silver in the plug. I saw a faint detail of the eagle and I couldn't get water on it fast enough to confirm that I had just dug my first Capped Bust coin of any kind! I believe it's an 1832 but it's hard to see the last number. She's worn down to about nothing but I'm still grinning and replaying that moment in my head. I tried to get some good pics but it was getting too dark. I couldn't focus on detecting after that but managed to find a few more bullets before leaving. I cleaned everything up when I got home and I was thrilled to see two more first for me. One bullet is a Swage Base from being chucked in a lathe to cut the grooves and another is a .69 caliber French Triangle base! It's great to be able to save these relics because it won't be long before it's all covered up. HH-David

DANG!!!!
When should I be there ? LOL
Barbers do not come out much nicer .

Actually in 1999 or so my 1st Barber Dime was a 1903 O & in similar Condition, unfortunately as a relative 'Nubee' I over-Cleaned it & put micro-Scratches in the Fields, don't even want to look at it . "Crazy I know" I hope by now some of the micro scratches have toned (almost 20 years ...WOW!) time fly's , no more Barber Coins until 2011 - dime & worn Smooth.

Then 2 years ago I got a Nice 1908 O in VF Details ; 'Lets say it still has traces of dirt in the reeds. lol'
Best under-cleaned for now.

Reckon you or the Plow/ Dozier's nicked you Nice CB Half Dime?
& the Sweet Civil War Bullets & Types .... MAN! you had a Great hunt/ 's .

Save More , again when should I get there ?
GD
Davers

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the well traveled little silver half dime is it? That Barber dime is CHOICE! Love the lead too. Great digs.:headbang:

Thanks! Yeah I love digging lead

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt! Digging a silver in that condition is a winning day for sure. Lots of lead as well.

Yeah any Bust coin has been on my list to find for a long time. Sure is exciting to cross one off the list. It's been a while.

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow,, very sweet hunt,, no way I would get the rest of the weekend chores done after a hunt like that. lol
Congrats

Yeah makes it tough to pull yourself away from a site that produces a few nice keepers.

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DANG!!!!
When should I be there ? LOL
Barbers do not come out much nicer .

Actually in 1999 or so my 1st Barber Dime was a 1903 O & in similar Condition, unfortunately as a relative 'Nubee' I over-Cleaned it & put micro-Scratches in the Fields, don't even want to look at it . "Crazy I know" I hope by now some of the micro scratches have toned (almost 20 years ...WOW!) time fly's , no more Barber Coins until 2011 - dime & worn Smooth.

Then 2 years ago I got a Nice 1908 O in VF Details ; 'Lets say it still has traces of dirt in the reeds. lol'
Best under-cleaned for now.

Reckon you or the Plow/ Dozier's nicked you Nice CB Half Dime?
& the Sweet Civil War Bullets & Types .... MAN! you had a Great hunt/ 's .

Save More , again when should I get there ?
GD
Davers

Thanks Davers! Yeah it's a tough lesson to learn not to rub those silver coins. Yeah I think I may have hit the edge of it trying to get through the hardpacked soil on the construction sight. The heavy equipment sure packs it down.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Davers! Yeah it's a tough lesson to learn not to rub those silver coins. Yeah I think I may have hit the edge of it trying to get through the hardpacked soil on the construction sight. The heavy equipment sure packs it down.

I feel ya, I have nicked more than 1 nice coin or relic while digging esp, in hard-pack & rocky Soil.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice Capped, we don't find those everyday.

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel ya, I have nicked more than 1 nice coin or relic while digging esp, in hard-pack & rocky Soil.

Thanks Davers! It's a tough part of the hobby but it's better than not finding it all.

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Capped, we don't find those everyday.

Thanks Scrappy! Yeah I'm still excited to have got my first. Don't see them dug often down here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread