What's new

Bell help.

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2009
Messages
2,382
Reaction score
100
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Whites Pulse Diver, ETRAC.
Any idea what this metal is and how old it is and what it was used for? :dontknow:
 

Attachments

  • 016.webp
    016.webp
    30.2 KB · Views: 383
  • 017.webp
    017.webp
    21.9 KB · Views: 366
  • 017.webp
    017.webp
    21.9 KB · Views: 363
  • 016.webp
    016.webp
    30.2 KB · Views: 341
  • 015.webp
    015.webp
    31.9 KB · Views: 345
  • 014.webp
    014.webp
    33.1 KB · Views: 363
For Whom the Bell tolls :laughing7:

Looks like a door Bell.
Of course Just a guess
 
Upvote 0
Open mouth horse bell, probably part of a set used to warn others that a vehicle was approaching. Looks like brass and later 1800's.

But I'm far from a bell expert. :laughing9: Done a bit of research on a few I've dug.
 
Upvote 0
Shopkeepers bell (brass)

bell.webp
 
Upvote 0
Anyone give a date range to this bell?
 
Upvote 0
GG may be right, as I indicated my knowledge on bells is very limited.

I'm going on the other items dug as far as a date. It appears the same designs have been used for quite a long time, often without any markings.

Check out open mouth bells here, gives some history on usage also:
http://classicbells.com/info/BellDesign.htm

Here are a couple they have for sale, be sure to click on the photo as it shows several similar designs:
http://classicbells.com/proddetail.asp?prod=lsAOpn10

I had another link or two including one on a bell forum that I had used when identifying my last bell, but it appears I've lost them. :icon_scratch: I'll check another drive for the other links. You may need to use other items found at your site along with a date range to draw a conclusion on your bell. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Great info GG and diggin. I am hoping it was a horse bell. I have found many horse tack artifacts at this site.
 
Upvote 0
Looks identical to the shop bell to me? Monty
 
Upvote 0
I believe the small open bells with the hole attachment at the top like the one in question were sort of a generic bell sold for whatever purpose one needed a small bell for. Plenty were used on goats, sheep, cows, doors, carriages, buggies, etc. Even though other styles were designed specific for certain animals the small round open bells were also used.



bells.webp
 
Upvote 0
I also believe it to be a farm bell most likely used on a farm animal, because of the tons of horse artifacts I have found. I have found tons of horse shoes, ox shoes, iron patches, a stirrup and dozens of horse buckles. Thanks for all the input folks. :hello2:
 
Upvote 0
Most if not all of the horse harnass bells I have seen here on tnet are crotal type bells that don't have an open bell shape, but of course I am no bell expert. A general purpose bell is probably close to right .....or not? Monty
 
Upvote 0
Monty said:
Most if not all of the horse harnass bells I have seen here on tnet are crotal type bells that don't have an open bell shape, but of course I am no bell expert. A general purpose bell is probably close to right .....or not? Monty

Ask HISPAN, he finds loads of these, & agrees they are all horse related. But no reason why similar ones couldn't be used for other purposes.
 
Upvote 0
Sometimes they were even used in combination with crotal bells for sleighs.

web.bells_.gif
 
Upvote 0
GoodyGuy said:
Sometimes they were even used in combination with crotal bells for sleighs.
Great image Goody!! :icon_thumleft:
I've never seen an image of how they would have mounted to the animal. :wink:
 
Upvote 0
Garabaldi said:
I've never seen an image of how they would have mounted to the animal. :wink:

Here is one way:

bellhorse.gif
 
Upvote 0
I learn so much from this hobby. Thanks Goody. :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom