best coil ear stiffners for the equinox stock 11" coill?

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same for me Felix, Minelab just replaced my coil under warranty, but the ear design is no different on the new one. Don’t know if they are redesigning the ears on new coils, but even if they are they have to use up existing original design inventory, which is what I received. I am interested in a good stiffener as well.

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what are the best coil ears stiffners for the 800?

I don't want to end up with one just made off some 3d plastic printer that really don't work. Or do they work?

First make sure with the buyer they are not made of "infill". There is not much strength in just the ears and stiffeners alone. I highly recommend epoxying the stiffener to the ears to make everything one.

Then I go the extra step of adding solid plastic side plates to each side. These coil ears will NEVER BREAK! Pictured are my 11 and 15" Nox coils.

coil 2.jpg
coil 1.jpg
IMG_0503 (1).JPG

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They are all 3D printed from what I've seen. I download a free stl file from thingiverse and had my local library print it for me. I think it was $1.50. They only charge for the price of the filament used. A lot of public libraries have added maker labs. Might be worth a look in your area. I can send you the file if you want. It is a solid print design, and it works. As Midlake mentioned, some designs will be more hollow inside (infill) to save on filament usage. The design I found puts the strain back on the coil instead of the ears. Some of the designs I've seen don't look very sturdy. Just have to specify you want it printed on it's side for strength because the print lines will cause weak spots. After I sanded and painted them it looks nice. I didn't epoxy mine to the ears but I had thought about it. Wanted to see how it went for a while. This is a photo from thingiverse.

Minelab.jpg

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess I can share it here for everybody? Not sure if that breaks any rules since people might be selling them. These are all for 11 inch coils. The 6 and 15 are shaped differently but I've seen the files on thingiverse. There are files for just cracked ears, no ears, only right, only left, and one for Anderson shafts. I renamed them so they make more sense. If it gets taken down just PM me.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GtHn2859fB4j1a2fQu4YA0qXOuECnWoK/view?usp=sharing

Dirt Duke

Aug 26, 2018
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best coil ear reinforcement

what are the best coil ears stiffners for the 800?

I don't want to end up with one just made off some 3d plastic printer that really don't work. Or do they work?

The best coil ear reinforcement is the one you do yourself. I tried the 3D printed reinforcement route and it did not prevent both coil ears from breaking. I did the Gigmaster repair and it worked fine and is rock solid: https://youtube.com/watch?v=3SZNGrZtXKA&feature=share
Just be sure you don't over tighten your coil bolt with this repair, with 3D coil stiffeners or right out of the box, as is coil. The guy at the Minelab repair depot told me over tightening is the primary cause of coil ear breakage.

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
here is an update: just received from mornstar524 on eBay his Nox 11" stock coil ear reinforcement piece. It is well made, a nice snug fit. only $15.00 Very happy. Now I won't worry as much about possibly breaking the stock coil ears like others have done. Don't wish that to happen for obvious reasons, one my Nox 800 is out of warranty.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread