✅ SOLVED best guess... sanding block?

mill-Z

Jul 4, 2021
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This rock is surprisingly soft. It seems like it was shaped for finger placement. 20210706_003658.jpg 20210706_004549.jpg 20210706_004049.jpg 20210706_004011.jpg

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm, not sure of the purpose, but the black areas look like flint while the whitish areas look like core (I think). However, that may not jive w/ it being surprisingly soft. Which part was soft: the black, whitish or all?

If it turns out to be flint/core, then maybe someone was beginning to work on it, but didn't get a chance to finish. Was that found in the area of "confetti"?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a possible small chert nodule. The idea that Native Americans made tools with finger placements is mostly a myth. You don't tell us where it was found, so maybe a creek find. Tumbling against other stones will chip the edges of chert stone.

Upvote 0

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm thinking it's a natural stone. But in the first pic I DO see the left side of Chairman Mao's face and bald pate.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mill-Z

Jul 4, 2021
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, its more of a bluish than whitish, and yes, that's the part that's soft. Now that u mention it, the black part does look like flint. I found this on the sand by the river, close to a power dam, when I was visiting a friend in Willacoochee, Fl. along with this cute lil guy (images attached) 20210720_022155.jpg 20210720_022229.jpg 20210720_022220.jpg

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not a fake (if you're referring to the second item). It's very obviously a sea urchin fossil. This is not the same species as the OP's, but the 'needle holes' are a normal anatomical feature of the test (the shell portion). They're the podial pores of the petalloid ambulacrum.

Urchin 1.jpg Urchin 2.jpg

The first item is just a piece of heavily weathered rock with a cortex that has seen significant hydration. That will also affect the hardness of the interior and rocks like rhyolites are particularly susceptible to this (although I don't know if it occurs in the area where you found it). Difficult to say if it has been worked or chipped by mother nature.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mill-Z

Jul 4, 2021
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's not a fake (if you're referring to the second item). It's very obviously a sea urchin fossil. This is not the same species as the OP's, but the 'needle holes' are a normal anatomical feature of the test (the shell portion). They're the podial pores of the petalloid ambulacrum.

View attachment 1938842 View attachment 1938844

The first item is just a piece of heavily weathered rock with a cortex that has seen significant hydration. That will also affect the hardness of the interior and rocks like rhyolites are particularly susceptible to this (although I don't know if it occurs in the area where you found it). Difficult to say if it has been worked or chipped by mother nature.

Thank you... Solved ��

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread