best local potato chip

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
out here I vote for Tim's cascade original.... used to be cooked in peanut oil, recently bought out but still the best....
62baeb65f24d2925edd42ebfb9fb06fd0c704454486bf750af39778d67bc43d1

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the day we had a chip man , the truck came once a week and had the best chips on board in tin cans to protect them. Chips the size of your hand was not uncommon. you exchanged an empty can for a full one when he arrived . he also sold pretzels and candies.
today a chip is a chip and I buy cheap ole dollar store brand on the rare occasion that I buy them .
56132-DEFAULT-L.jpg

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Back in the day we had a chip man , the truck came once a week and had the best chips on board in tin cans to protect them. Chips the size of your hand was not uncommon. you exchanged an empty can for a full one when he arrived . he also sold pretzels and candies.
today a chip is a chip and I buy cheap ole dollar store brand on the rare occasion that I buy them .
56132-DEFAULT-L.jpg
We had Red Dot and Blue Star when I was little. One of those cane in a large tin.

mikefromIllinois

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2008
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-3D
Made in Burlington, Iowa.
When we went east on vacations we always looked for Wise brand chips.
Just had some Sterzing's today. They are the best around here. I used to eat kitchen cooked, they made them about 30 minutes from here. When the government made new rules they changed to a different cooking oil and they have not been the same since.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
56132-DEFAULT-L.jpg
I just saw one of those tins the other day.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About a year ago this brand of chips began stocking the shelves. I like these dill pickle flavor ones.

Attachments

• e49dcd24-056b-4109-aebe-079aa160b1cd.53e74034ab3882be572c748bc11ea150.jpeg
    e49dcd24-056b-4109-aebe-079aa160b1cd.53e74034ab3882be572c748bc11ea150.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
utz is what bought out my Cascade brand.... I wonder if these are the same now.... I greatly prefer just plain, no flavor, light salt chips. Lays is so briny I can't hardly eat them any more.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
utz is what bought out my Cascade brand.... I wonder if these are the same now.... I greatly prefer just plain, no flavor, light salt chips. Lays is so briny I can't hardly eat them any more.
I failed to notice the post was about locally made potato chips, but I do like these Utz. I read about them and they've been around since the 1930 I believe from Pennsylvania. Now they're selling them in Colorado. I can't think of any local potato chip makers, but they do grow a fair amount of potatoes in what's called the San Luis Valley of the state.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another vote for UTZ (Hanover, Pennsylvania). We get them in New York and they are excellent.

There is a diner in town that makes it's own garlic potato chips. Thicker than a bagged chip, but served warm out of the deep frier and absolutely knock your socks off.

We have a Frito Lay plant in the nearest city and I have to say the Frito Corn Chips and Doritos are addictive; but not potato based. We sent a lab technician to monitor their effluient (grease, starch solids and waxes are death to wastewater treatment plant bacteria) and they always came back with dozens of bags of Fritos and Doritos. * sigh *

Last edited:

hollARDog

Jun 18, 2022
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another vote for UTZ (Hanover, Pennsylvania). We get them in New York and they are excellent.

There is a diner in town that makes it's own garlic potato chips. Thicker than a bagged chip, but served warm out of the deep frier and absolutely knock your socks off.

We have a Frito Lay plant in the nearest city and I have to say the Frito Corn Chips and Doritos are addictive; but not potato based. We sent a lab technician to monitor their effluient (grease, starch solids and waxes are death to wastewater treatment plant bacteria) and they always came back with dozens of bags of Fritos and Doritos. * sigh *
Curiosity got me............Have you had a Frito pie?🥰🤘

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread