Best MD for the Desert?

Rooster 777

Jun 5, 2022
Las Vegas, NV
I relocated to Las Vegas and looking forward to getting out in the Fall & Winter weather. Does anyone have an opinion on what's the best MD for the Desert? It would be used for Cache hunting, etc. The Geology in the Desert is obviously very different than the Beach, I'm guessing there are some MD's that do very well in this enviroment. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

kmk

Feb 4, 2016
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and APEX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I relocated to Las Vegas and looking forward to getting out in the Fall & Winter weather. Does anyone have an opinion on what's the best MD for the Desert? It would be used for Cache hunting, etc. The Geology in the Desert is obviously very different than the Beach, I'm guessing there are some MD's that do very well in this enviroment. Thoughts?

Thanks!
I've used one of my AT Pros out there in and around Red Rock mountains and found some 1900s and newer coins.

kmk

Feb 4, 2016
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and APEX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool! I actually live at the mouth of Red Rock Canyon, lot's of history up here.
And great hiking too. I had a house out in Sumerlin and just sold it in 2018. Another area you may want to try is Mount Charleston, it's much cooler than the desert and a hop skip and a jump from Las Vegas. They have a lot of area up there with old foundations on government land

OP
OP
Rooster 777

Rooster 777

Jun 5, 2022
Las Vegas, NV
And great hiking too. I had a house out in Sumerlin and just sold it in 2018. Another area you may want to try is Mount Charleston, it's much cooler than the desert and a hop skip and a jump from Las Vegas. They have a lot of area up there with old foundations on government land
Great point! Been up there without a MD.

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excal II. I have it for sale on this forum, and want something new. Thanks.
I'm happy with the Manticore, Deus and legend, I also live in the desert southwest, if you are going to do prospecting buy a PI machine. I lived in Vegas in the early 1980's, found quite a bit of gold in both the white hills and gold basin area of AZ, also in Searchlight NV.

OP
OP
Rooster 777

Rooster 777

Jun 5, 2022
Las Vegas, NV
I'm happy with the Manticore, Deus and legend, I also live in the desert southwest, if you are going to do prospecting buy a PI machine. I lived in Vegas in the early 1980's, found quite a bit of gold in both the white hills and gold basin area of AZ, also in Searchlight NV.
Great tips! Thanks

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks!
If you're not just going to exclusively prospect for nuggets, just about any of the latest all-around machines will get the job done. Starting with a best buy Legend, through the Equinox 600/800/ 700/900 Manticore series, and the XP Deus machines. Find a local dealer so you can handle them all to get one that feels good to you. Nothing wrong with your Excal either, but, yeah, there are machines with better ergonomics, weight, and features that would make desert hunting more pleasant.

OP
OP
Rooster 777

Rooster 777

Jun 5, 2022
Las Vegas, NV
If you're not just going to exclusively prospect for nuggets, just about any of the latest all-around machines will get the job done. Starting with a best buy Legend, through the Equinox 600/800/ 700/900 Manticore series, and the XP Deus machines. Find a local dealer so you can handle them all to get one that feels good to you. Nothing wrong with your Excal either, but, yeah, there are machines with better ergonomics, weight, and features that would make desert hunting more pleasant
Thanks, I was looking for a starting point!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread