Beware the At Pro

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Photo on 4-29-14 at 2.20 PM.jpg Photo on 4-29-14 at 2.21 PM.jpg

Since getting my At Pro I've been finding a lot better coins. Before I would be happy if I scored a silver rosie. Now I feel I had a bad day when I found only an 1898 Barber dime. My fifth barber of the month. Thanks for looking Good Luck to you and Happy Hunting
MackDOg

Upvote 19

GranvilleATPro

Apr 4, 2014
Lafayette Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep listening for the quieter deeper signals. Once you figure it out you'll be scoring them more often. You live in NC you have so many more older coins to find

The quieter deeper signal is what I have the most question about. Is this typically a repeatable signal or just one way?. I've heard them but it seems to just be barely a chirp, chirp, chirp, with a blip on vdi in the high tone range, but only in one direction, hardly ever in both directions. Is this what your talking about, cause if they are im passing up the silver in this old park.

Last edited:

Birky

Apr 19, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm right there with ya Mack, it's the only machine I've ever really known and it's a damn killer..I feel like such a spoiled brat sometimes..getting bent out of shape over digging a merc...sheesh and this is only the beginning of season 2 for me in this hobby..:laughing7:

Keep em comin brother.

Chris

Birky

Apr 19, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The quieter deeper signal is what I have the most question about. Is this typically a repeatable signal or just one way?. I've heard them but it seems to just be barely a chirp, chirp, chirp, but only in one direction, hardly ever in both directions. Is this what your talking about, cause if they are im passing up the silver in this old park.

I usually check it from 3 directions but if I can get even one of those angles to sound semi-solid, I'll at least pop the first few inches to see if theres a change. I tend to look at it like this.. Can you effectively "cherry pick" the area first? meaning, are there enough solid signals left to not bother with the iffy ones yet? If the answer is no then for me it's on to the inconsistent targets. Then again..my methods of detecting are still young and most likely flawed in many ways.

Just last week I dug a target that read from mid 60s up to 86 but I could only get that high end reading from only one angle and there was definitely an iron mixed in there, it was at 12 inches and sounded very faint..I was expecting deep iron for sure but alas I gave it a whirl. After removing about 6-8 inches of dirt I swept my ATP over the hole again and it just about blew my eardrums:laughing7: But not that shrieking tone you get from aluminum it was as clean is they come. I plunged my shovel in another 4 inches or so and popped out the clod and wouldnt ya know siting right at the bottom of the hole was a franklin Half...I never would have thought in a million years. The initial tone and readings told me that it was deep iron for sure..

I've also dug large cents that registered in the 70's and sounded like pure trash:laughing7:

Chris

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess this is a good place to chime in. I've been using an AT Pro for about a month now and love the thing. The last silver I dug with it was Saturday. It was a roosie at 8-9 inches and gave me a super faint inconsistent high-ish tone, but once I flipped the plug it was screaming at me. I stick the pinpointer in the hole deep enough to almost hide the pro-pointer and suddenly I see a roosie!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I'm spoiled. I started with the AT Pro and it is really all I know. But I realized very recently two things. After going digging with two friends I discovered that one, the ATP is NOT the greatest and best detector out there and two, there are lots of other detectors that are well below the ATP. I did a lot of research before I purchased and I'm happy with my ATP. It is a great detector for the money. A good value, no doubt.
I like mine, I don't have two grand for what I know is a better machine, just have to rely on luck and listen very carefully, I might be wrong, but for the money you can't get a better machine.

OP
OP
M

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually check it from 3 directions but if I can get even one of those angles to sound semi-solid, I'll at least pop the first few inches to see if theres a change. I tend to look at it like this.. Can you effectively "cherry pick" the area first? meaning, are there enough solid signals left to not bother with the iffy ones yet? If the answer is no then for me it's on to the inconsistent targets. Then again..my methods of detecting are still young and most likely flawed in many ways.

Just last week I dug a target that read from mid 60s up to 86 but I could only get that high end reading from only one angle and there was definitely an iron mixed in there, it was at 12 inches and sounded very faint..I was expecting deep iron for sure but alas I gave it a whirl. After removing about 6-8 inches of dirt I swept my ATP over the hole again and it just about blew my eardrums:laughing7: But not that shrieking tone you get from aluminum it was as clean is they come. I plunged my shovel in another 4 inches or so and popped out the clod and wouldnt ya know siting right at the bottom of the hole was a franklin Half...I never would have thought in a million years. The initial tone and readings told me that it was deep iron for sure..

I've also dug large cents that registered in the 70's and sounded like pure trash:laughing7:

Chris

You'll get somewhat erratic signals on anything greater that 6 inches. Thats for target ID but most of the time the sound for silver is that sweet high pitch sound. For Indians and early wheats deep is getting mostly a good sound and reading. Also use iron sound to check. If it's close I dig

Chris[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
M

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess this is a good place to chime in. I've been using an AT Pro for about a month now and love the thing. The last silver I dug with it was Saturday. It was a roosie at 8-9 inches and gave me a super faint inconsistent high-ish tone, but once I flipped the plug it was screaming at me. I stick the pinpointer in the hole deep enough to almost hide the pro-pointer and suddenly I see a roosie!
I detect in parks most of the roses are gone all the newer Merc's are gone. Thats why I got an At Pro to find whats left. People are tearing my park up but not finding the deep stuff. That's all I really can get. A few clads but not much. Sometimes I find about 15 coins and 6 are wheats or better not bad.

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
Jeff I know just what you mean. When I pull out a Barber and it's a 20th century variety I get so disgusted I toss it back in the hole and cover it back up.

wouldn't it be odd if that is exactly what you did?..i come close to doin' that every time out.don't ask me why,
guess i been huntin' too damn long,and nothin' thrills me anymore like it used to.don't get me wrong,have found my share
of great stuff over the years,but i kinda have gotten to the point that i hunt just to do something,and it don't really matter
what i pull out...cant figure it,maybe i'll go see a doc,and get checked out!..i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Silversurfer79

Dec 24, 2013
Southern, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! I have had my At Pro about a month now and absolutely love it. 15 silvers in a month. Congrats on the sweet barber!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The day I find a Barber dime and don't get a thrill out of it is the day I quit metal detecting. Sorry, but finding a 100 year old silver coin should always make your day.

thommo59

Mar 6, 2014
Australia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coins, I'm finding "different" stuff with my AT Pro, better as a rule :icon_thumright:

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice barber!!!

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds. Glad the At/Pro has you spoiled rotten. lol I love mine.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'll take everyones' reject Mercs! Congrats on the Barber dime .

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
The Barber is in really nice condition. Congrats on that.

I have been using the ATP for about 4 months. It found 6 silvers in April. It is a good little machine!!!!!

OP
OP
M

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The day I find a Barber dime and don't get a thrill out of it is the day I quit metal detecting. Sorry, but finding a 100 year old silver coin should always make your day.
I get a thrill out of any wheat or better, I've just come to expect these coins now and when you don't get them you feel a little let down.

Kaleb71386

Dec 31, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350. Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go me and my ATP are doing the same just found a 1913 barber dime today my 3rd of the year.. I'm so happy with it and the way it works

Tenspeed

Mar 22, 2009
York County, SC
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Past: XP Deus, Xterra 70, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I had your Barber problem!!! That is a pretty coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions