What's new

Big coils losing sensitivity to smaller objects

NWMP

Hero Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2009
Messages
594
Reaction score
503
Golden Thread
0
Location
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am thinking of grabbing a 13x14 or 15 inch NEL coil to swing in fields, for my AT Pro. And I have seen comments about the bigger coils losing sensitivity to smaller objects but being the cats meow for the big deep stuff. So what is the definition of a "smaller" object ? A silver quarter, a silver dime, a silver half dime, lead shot ? I am going down a scale to get a feel for were the line is drawn. Thanks.
 
NWMP, I cannot comment on that particular coil or that detector, but I have been hunting with the 17" coil on my CTX for the last month. I have found plenty of targets that are smaller than coins. I get better coverage per sweep, and have been digging very deep holes with it. The only downside is that surface targets are a little harder to locate quickly, it throws balance off a bit and the depth reading of shallower targets show up as 4-6" deep. This may very well be characteristic of my machine and this specific coil, but I wanted to address your concern of large coils detecting coin sized objects. They are not just for finding cannon balls, and should locate coins very well.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom