Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my birthday present from my husband ;D. Its a skull from a buffalo bull. The bull was struck by lightning last year and my husband found it. He brought the skull home and buried it for about 6 months to let the earth worms clean it up. Then he took some Kilz(white primer) and painted the skull. It makes a beautiful addition to our hunting and artifact room!
Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!!
sandcreek~~

Attachments

• IMG_3427.JPG
    IMG_3427.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 822
S

seger98

He did a nice job on it.... Merry Christmas to you & your family as well. :hello:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's cool, sandcreek. We never find as many ancient buffalo bones on the plains as folks might think because the early day settlers picked them up and sold them for use as fertilizer. By the wagonsful, too.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seger98 said:
He did a nice job on it.... Merry Christmas to you & your family as well. :hello:
Thanks seger98!
Rando said:
sandcreek4 said:
This is my birthday present from my husband ;D. Its a skull from a buffalo bull. The bull was struck by lightning last year and my husband found it.

Did he find it with his detector as a result of the magnetism incurred during the lightning strike?
:laughing7:

Seriously, that's pretty cool.
He wouldn't pick up a detector if his life depended on it :tongue3:, he thinks I'm crazy to go around digging holes in the ground trying to find buried treasure :laughing7:. But I'm sure glad he picked up this skull---it looks pretty good hanging on the wall with my arrowheads.
Thanks Rando!
RGINN said:
That's cool, sandcreek. We never find as many ancient buffalo bones on the plains as folks my think because the early day settlers picked them up and sold them for use as fertilizer. By the wagonsful, too.
Its funny how many of these things over the years get struck by lightning. Did you know that scavengers(like coyotes) won't eat on a carcass that's been struck by lightning? (At least the ones around here won't!) I don't know if it makes the meat taste funny or what, but nothing would touch this old bison bull! Isn't that strange?
And I didn't know that the early settlers picked them up and sold them for fertilizer, RGINN. I think it would be the coolest thing ever to find an ancient bison skull(bison antiquus(SP?))! My grandpa found a Harahey knife with some bones one time and I've often wondered if they weren't buffalo bones.

Merry Christmas RGINN, Rando and seger98!
sandcreek~~~

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Nice Sandcreek, it looks good! I've heard that about lightning strikes, and wondered why the scavengers leave it alone. That is a really nice skull, but I tend to think certain animal skulls are just beautiful, God's basic handiwork I guess, I dunno, but I like them. Hey it looks like a white Christmas! I can't wait! I'll have to see it to believe it, but I hope so. Merry, Merry Christmas to you and yours!

naturegirl

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
naturegirl said:
Nice Sandcreek, it looks good! I've heard that about lightning strikes, and wondered why the scavengers leave it alone. That is a really nice skull, but I tend to think certain animal skulls are just beautiful, God's basic handiwork I guess, I dunno, but I like them. Hey it looks like a white Christmas! I can't wait! I'll have to see it to believe it, but I hope so. Merry, Merry Christmas to you and yours!

naturegirl
Thanks naturegirl! We've had a couple of different bison get struck by lightning and absolutely nothing will go near them. They sure make purdy wall decor though :D.
Josie can't wait until it snows so she can take some pictures of the buffalo with snow on them---I just hope its not the 6 to 10 inches the weatherman is predicting! It'll be fun to have a white Christmas, huh?!
God Bless you and your family this Christmas! Stay safe through the New Year!
Carmon

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Congrats, that is cool. As far as the white Christmas goes we have had a white Christmas for the last eight years. I dream of a "Green Christmas" :)

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhhh haaa Kilz it is, huh? I wondered how he got it that white. I shall remember your awsome Bison skull. We had a cow giving birth get hit by lightning standing in a creek.
Merry Christmas to you and yours.
TnMountains

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard that story about scavengers not touching something struck by lightning. Particularly in connection with the recent upsurge in 'cattle mutilations' in the San Luis Valley. I never saw that myself, or heard any folk tales from my family about it, or saw any valid studies that I would lend credence to done on that. So I can't say that's true, beyond a doubt. Maybe the lightning strike scared off any scavengers within a 20 mile radius. I have personally seen scavenger work that exhibits laser like precision in cutting, no evidence of blood, no tracks, only certain parts selected, etc. But no more. Let's keep the San Luis Valley mysterious and wondering. And Merry Christmas!

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ron & April said:
Congrats, that is cool. As far as the white Christmas goes we have had a white Christmas for the last eight years. I dream of a "Green Christmas" :)
The last time we had a white Christmas was in 2002(I think). Its fun to have snow for 1 or 2 days but I'm always ready for it to melt!
Merry Christmas, Ron & April!!
TnMountains said:
Ahhhh haaa Kilz it is, huh? I wondered how he got it that white. I shall remember your awsome Bison skull. We had a cow giving birth get hit by lightning standing in a creek.
Merry Christmas to you and yours.
TnMountains
Yeah, and Kilz works good on deer skulls too :wink:. Hope you also have a very Merry Christmas and God Bless you, TnMountains!
RGINN said:
I've heard that story about scavengers not touching something struck by lightning. Particularly in connection with the recent upsurge in 'cattle mutilations' in the San Luis Valley. I never saw that myself, or heard any folk tales from my family about it, or saw any valid studies that I would lend credence to done on that. So I can't say that's true, beyond a doubt. Maybe the lightning strike scared off any scavengers within a 20 mile radius. I have personally seen scavenger work that exhibits laser like precision in cutting, no evidence of blood, no tracks, only certain parts selected, etc. But no more. Let's keep the San Luis Valley mysterious and wondering. And Merry Christmas!
I'm not sure if its true about animals not eating a lightning stuck carcass either, RGINN. We just noticed that the bison bull that was killed wasn't touched and even the bones are still in the same place where he died(except for the skull of course :D).
Merry Christmas to you and Maria, RGINN! Stay safe during the holidays!~~sandcreek~~

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DigginThePast said:
Skull looks great.
Merry Christmas sandcreek4.
Kindest regards and Merry Christmas to you too, DigginThePast!

~~~sandcreek~~~

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CarolinaDigs said:
He did a great job of turning this into a beautiful piece of art :icon_thumleft:
Thanks CarolinaDigs! I've been begging him ever since he found it to clean it up for me so I could hang it on the wall. You can't imagine how gorgeous it is in person! And the thing is sooooo heavy! We wired it to the screw on the wall so it won't accidentally fall off. I'm just thrilled with it!
Have a Merry Christmas!
~sandcreek~

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The skull looks 'Great', Merry Christmas to you & yours.

Fossis............

This 'Bison-Bison' came out of the South Canadian river, the front is worn down from rubbing on the sand.

Attachments

• Bison skull 002.JPG
    Bison skull 002.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 1,713
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fossis said:
The skull looks 'Great', Merry Christmas to you & yours.

Fossis............

This 'Bison-Bison' came out of the South Canadian river, the front is worn down from rubbing on the sand.
That is a beautiful skull---I love the caramel color(patina) from the river!
Hope you also have a Merry Christmas, Fossis!!!!
sandcreek

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
naturegirl said:
Ooh, fossis, that is gorgeous, what a color!

ng

They have found everything from, Mastadon bones & teeth, fossilized turtle shells, horse teeth, Indian bones, longhorn cattle skulls, even a copper container out of a Doctor's bag (to hold medicene bottles), old timers tell of mules & wagons that sunk in the 'Quicksand', plus fantastic Indian relic's.

Fossis...........

buckshot

Mar 31, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Merry Christmas sc, It's as white outside as your buff skull. Some blizzard... huh? I like your skull. Looks great hangin on your wall. I have 3 hangin in different rooms of my home. Now, All you need is a nice winter hide for the floor. I have 1 one the floor in my front room and really like it... Best Regards... buckshot

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
buckshot said:
Merry Christmas sc, It's as white outside as your buff skull. Some blizzard... huh? I like your skull. Looks great hangin on your wall. I have 3 hangin in different rooms of my home. Now, All you need is a nice winter hide for the floor. I have 1 one the floor in my front room and really like it... Best Regards... buckshot
Hi buckshot! Yes, its pretty white on the prairie tonight ;D. That cold wind made some huge drifts outside! My husband had to go "search and rescue" last night(Christmas Eve), right in the middle of that blizzard and tore his truck up in the process ::). There were about 5 trucks stuck down by the rock monument on the south end of the Preserve! We've enjoyed having a white Christmas, but I'm ready for it to melt!
Thanks for the comments on the skull---I hope to someday have a hide for the floor, too.
Merry Christmas to you Buckshot and Happy New Year!!
sandcreek~~~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread