What's new

Blue and gray rocks.

midniteblue101

Tenderfoot
Joined
May 8, 2012
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Montevallo, Alabama
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found these rocks at a park in Briarfield Alabama. Can any one tell me what they are?
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0079.webp
    DSCF0079.webp
    216.7 KB · Views: 193
not sure about either but, that being said the one on the right looks like either obsidion or a fine grained quartz, maybe......:dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Both are slag, which is a by-product from the production of iron. I'm guessing there are probably some old iron furnaces near the area where they were found. The color of the slag varies, but most slag is blue, green, or purple, with a glassy appearance. If you look closely, you should be able to see tiny air bubbles in the rock, produced by rapid cooling. Slag is worthless, but awfully pretty....I have a few boxes of slag I collected here in PA, someday I'd like to try to make jewelry out of it.
 
Upvote 0
The one on the left almost has an turquoise look, they could be glass slag not iron...
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom