rockpassion
Hero Member
- #1
Thread Owner
well at least it is a meteorite, hahaha. and oriented. bought it at auction and than the price can go up quickly. I have yet to recieve it. would you cut it or not?I would say, insofar as the pictures alone allow determination, that it's consistent with a low metal chondrite. Most of those on the market are from strewnfields associated with NWA 869 and its probable pairings, classifying somewhere in the territory of L3 - L6. How magnetic is it?
As such, it's a nice specimen and, if you're happy with the price, that's great. I think if you had shopped around you might have done better. My favourite dealer has recently retired from business, but the last unclassified Saharan low metal chondrite I bought from him was 179g and priced at £35 (40 euros).
well at least it is a meteorite, hahaha. and oriented. bought it at auction and than the price can go up quickly. I have yet to recieve it. would you cut it or not?
Will a standard lapidary diamond saw cut a meteorite? I know it would cut a stoney but what about an iron? I have saws, I just need to find a meteorite!🤣Cutting it will show any chondrules in better detail and perhaps reveal other features that a broken surface does not. Personally, I like cut wholestones that show both the exterior and interior.
Yes, any diamond sintered blade should do. Most automated platforms have a fixed free rate, which can get you into trouble with higher iron content. A quality variable feed rate saw, at slowest feed rate, should suffice for most stony iron meteorites.Will a standard lapidary diamond saw cut a meteorite? I know it would cut a stoney but what about an iron? I have saws, I just need to find a meteorite!🤣
well i bought it for a good price if it is a NWA 869, see this one listed
are the stone on the photoś nwa 869? if so i think that my stone is also from that fall or not?“You pays your money and you takes your choice” as they say, but I wouldn’t pay $78 for that specimen. These are from my collection, from the main NWA strewnfield:
A broken individual a little heavier than that 38.8g specimen, acquired for £15 ($20):
View attachment 2240145
An oriented crusted individual weighing well over 200g, acquired for £60 ($80):
View attachment 2240146
A beautiful oriented broken individual with primary and secondary fusion crust weighing well over 200g, acquired for £80 ($107):
View attachment 2240147
For interest, from MetSoc Bulletin MB90:
History: It is quite clear that meteorite collectors in Northwest Africa have discovered a large L chondrite strewn field at an undisclosed location. At least 2 metric tons [additional note from me: and possibly up to 7 metric tons including associated strewnfields relating to the same fall event] of material comprising thousands of individuals has been sold under the name NWA 869 in the market places of Morocco and around the world. Individual masses are known to range from <1 g to >20 kg. It is certain that NWA 869 is paired with other NWA meteorites, although no systematic survey has been done. It is also possible that some stones sold as NWA 869 are not part of the same fall, although dealers are confident that most of the known masses are sufficiently distinctive from other NWA meteorites in terms of surface and internal appearance that the error rate should be fairly low. Scientists are advised to confirm the classification of any specimens they obtain before publishing results under this name [additional note from me: and where classification is unconfirmed, they’re generally sold as unclassified NWA chondrites].
are the stone on the photoś nwa 869? if so i think that my stone is also from that fall or not?