Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nuthin' wrong with BH brand. I started with a Tracker IV and worked my up to a 202, a Land Star then to a Delta and an Omega. All good machines but all different.
My primary complaint on the BH machines was the lack of depth. They got me started in this hobby and I'm very happy I was able to get my first one for a whopping 30 bucks.

I gave away my T4 last Christmas to an 8 year old boy, the son of a girl I was dating for a while. He loves it and the seed has been planted.

bravobob

Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I LOVE my BH Prospector. I have a Whites Treasure Pro , HATE it! Two weeks old , its for sale on craigslist. To visual, it beeps,you look at the screen, it says it could be this , might be this , probably this. But wrong. Kept saying quarter,
84 vdi , just like air testing , but kept digging bottle caps ! POS !
I run the BHP in disk, knob at 3:00. Yes no zink (unless close to the surface), nickles or gold. But when the BH beeps , i'm 95% sure there's a coin there ! I dig VERY little trash.
VDI ? I don't care. For me , i like not knowing what im about to dig, Makes It more exciting. "Oh its a just penny" or "all right a quarter " , four times its been "WhooHoo , a silver ring "!
Depth meter ? Don't need one. Get a good pinpointer, one with 2 1/2 to 3 inches depth. My BHP only goes about 6/8 inches deep. Scan , get beep , check with pinpointer.If no sound , dig about five inches , you'll find it in the bottom of the plug or just a little deeper in the hole.
Fun verses price you cant beat a Bounty Hunter !

Last edited:

FSFT

Greenie
Mar 20, 2017
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The brown truck dropped off my BH LRP yesterday. I'm a rookie so the $280 investment was not over the top for me. Today was my first hunt and I walked my property out back where an old log cabin was raised when my place was built. Found all kinds of iron things. No coins. Found an old gas cap, and what looks like part of an old cast iron stove and an odd looking thing resembling a plumb bob with a very sharp tip.

Plan to hunt down by the pond tomorrow

-FSFT

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The brown truck dropped off my BH LRP yesterday. I'm a rookie so the $280 investment was not over the top for me. Today was my first hunt and I walked my property out back where an old log cabin was raised when my place was built. Found all kinds of iron things. No coins. Found an old gas cap, and what looks like part of an old cast iron stove and an odd looking thing resembling a plumb bob with a very sharp tip.

Plan to hunt down by the pond tomorrow

-FSFT

Keep hunting that area.. as you get more familiar with the LRP you will be able to pick up the small things all that big iron is hiding. I'm guessing there are lots of good things hiding under the big stuff.

Doc Chocobo

Greenie
Nov 20, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Timeranger
HF9F
Micronta 4003 (way back in the day)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had many other detectors, but I would never give up my time Ranger. It has a prominent place as the one I learned on. I haven't found anything other than the analog machines I used to play with that hold a higher place, but then again I don't have a ton of money to blow

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

Doc Chocobo

Greenie
Nov 20, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Timeranger
HF9F
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Best proof of the fact most people wrote bad words about BH detectors is the relative unsuccess of the Bh top model Time Ranger. Nobody wanted to pay close to 8-900$ to buy one, because of the brand name.

This unit is the most versatile I have ever used.

Plus it's the brst gold ring identifier I have used to date. ALL the pulltabs read in the 5c range (nickels have a lower value in that same range), so when you get a signal with steady ID in the ... pulltab range, you might be a very happy hunter after digging...

Sad news : The time ranger is no longer sold. Good news, there is a "Time ranger" revival under the name of Titan 9000.

This detector will outclass anything in its price range. To convince yourself, just carefully read the manual. Look at the features...Then buy it !

HH

Grumpy.
I agree, I have the time Ranger version 4. It's the only digital detector I've handled so far as I trained on analogs back in the day. But I really like this thing. I don't think I'll ever get rid of it even though the feel of it is very different from the older machines I've used.

As another member has said the only thing about it is that you have to go slow with it, but it gets good and deep. In all metal mode, it becomes a completely different Beast when you have headphones compared to the ID modes

Doc Chocobo

Greenie
Nov 20, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Timeranger
HF9F
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know, thinking about the recovery time of the time Ranger and the fact that it's basically a computer in there, I wonder if the CPU is on a separate clock then the rest of the unit or if the entire unit is using one single clock for all of its needs. If the CPU is on its own clock, couldn't you put a faster Clock Crystal into the unit to increase the processing speed of the main CPU? That might give the time Ranger the edge as far as recovery speed in ID mode. Just a thought, kind of like a turbo button on a PC. I was also thinking you could keep the Old Clock and the new clock in there at the same time with an spst switch if you wanted to go back to the way it originally worked at times

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to clarify...the Time Ranger V4 is still manufactured by Bounty Hunter and sells by the truck loads....just search for it on Amazon.

As far as "overclocking" it...I don't think it works that way like on a computer. Not so sure raising the clock speed would equate to recovery speed performance. I am not 100% though.

Doc Chocobo

Greenie
Nov 20, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Timeranger
HF9F
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just to clarify...the Time Ranger V4 is still manufactured by Bounty Hunter and sells by the truck loads....just search for it on Amazon.

As far as "overclocking" it...I don't think it works that way like on a computer. Not so sure raising the clock speed would equate to recovery speed performance. I am not 100% though.
I would suspect there's at least an 8-bit maybe at the outset even a 4 bit CPU in there, as it has two process keyboard inputs as well as output vdi numbers and separate tones. If it is running a program of any kind there has to be some kind of processing somewhere inside on the board. If I had another Bounty Hunter to tear apart I'd love to see the logic inside the shell, but that's an expensive Quest LOL

The pictures of the circuit board I've seen do seem to show a few very large integrated circuits. I would suspect it's an 808 6 or maybe some Motorola chip. Just saying

It's all theoretical anyway neither of us knows for sure and it's really cool to talk to you I've seen all your video reviews of the different metal detectors.

Doc Chocobo

Greenie
Nov 20, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Timeranger
HF9F
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would suspect there's at least an 8-bit maybe at the outset even a 4 bit CPU in there, as it has two process keyboard inputs as well as output vdi numbers and separate tones. If it is running a program of any kind there has to be some kind of processing somewhere inside on the board. If I had another Bounty Hunter to tear apart I'd love to see the logic inside the shell, but that's an expensive Quest LOL

The pictures of the circuit board I've seen do seem to show a few very large integrated circuits. I would suspect it's an 808 6 or maybe some Motorola chip. Just saying

It's all theoretical anyway neither of us knows for sure and it's really cool to talk to you I've seen all your video reviews of the different metal detectors.

You know, thinking on it it could very well be microcontroller-based

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread