Brass Mystery Disc With Symbols

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
**UPDATE - SOLVED - TRADE WEIGHT!" Brass Mystery Disc With Symbols

UPDATE - Thanks to Creskol, I know what this is: "This is a bronze weight of the reign of George III, or possibly the earlier part of the reign of George IV. Note the relative positions of the marks - the 'dagger', the fancy A, the ewer, and the royal cypher."

Here's another one identical to mine: http://home.clara.net/brianp/pics/preston.jpg

The "A" is for "avoirdupois". According to Encyclopedia Britannica:

"avoirdupois weight, traditional system of weight in the British Imperial System and the United States Customary System of weights and measures. The name derives ultimately from French avoir de pois (“goods of weight” or “property”). The avoirdupois pound contains 7,000 grains, or 256 drams of 27.344 grains each, or 16 ounces of 437 1/2 grains each. It is used for all products not subject to apothecaries’ weight (for pharmaceutical items) or troy weight (for precious metals). It is equal to about 1.22 apothecaries’ or troy pounds. Since 1959 the avoirdupois pound has been officially defined in most English-speaking countries as 0.45359237 kg."

COOL!!!!!!! Creskol needs to write a book. That fella is a walking, talking encyclopedia! Thanks again Rob!!

END OF UPDATE

This really has me stumped. As you can see, it's about 2" in diameter and about 7/16" thick. Appears to be solid brass. Slightly tapered as if it might be a lead to something. The letter on the left appears to be the Greek alphabet letter "A". The symbol in the top center appears to be a sword or dagger and the symbol on the right may be a cross of some type, but also looks like a "G" . . . not sure. I can't make out the symbol at the bottom. I found this earlier this summer on a farm here in the Shenandoah Valley that dates to the 1740's and it has been laying in my junk/whatzit pile. I didn't notice the symbols on it until I decided to wash it off today. Any help would be appreciated. I'm quite curious about it due to the symbols. Thanks for takin' a look!

Attachments

• mystery_disc (1) (800x600).jpg
    mystery_disc (1) (800x600).jpg
    127 KB · Views: 151
  • mystery_disc (2) (800x600).jpg
    mystery_disc (2) (800x600).jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 158
  • mystery_disc (3) (800x600).jpg
    mystery_disc (3) (800x600).jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 143
  • mystery_disc (4) (800x600).jpg
    mystery_disc (4) (800x600).jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 150
  • mystery_disc (5) (800x600).jpg
    mystery_disc (5) (800x600).jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Upvote 3
OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome, right off the scale!:laughing7:

Congratulations, Rick, that's a great find. That certainly harkens back to a different time; that's largely what it's all about for me personally.

Me too Doug. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions