- Joined
- May 16, 2023
- Messages
- 7,089
- Reaction score
- 34,385
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Detector(s) used
- XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
I realize this is probably just some generic piece of hardware, but I'm hoping someone might know more about exactly what it is or what it was used for. Found at a late 1800's home site. It's shaped like a tack or possibly a cufflink -- a half inch flat disc with beveled edge and a square post in the back. It's probably copper or brass, feels solid and heavy, does not stick to a magnet (it had a TID of 84 on the Deus II, and a slight red patina, which is common for copper and brass here). The square shank seems complete but I can't be sure. And I can't make out any writing or pattern or anything on either side of it. It seems too short to be useful as a fastener, and being made of copper or brass seems odd for a fastener as well. Does anyone know what it really is?
Front, side, and back.

Front, side, and back.









