Bright silver flakes in heavy black sands.

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand that for most mineral identification information like streak tests, hardness and other perimeters are required but I?m really only asking for some opinions here, so with that outta the way...

In nearly all of my pans or sluice runs I find lots of bright silver flakes. It?s not mica as it?s heavy and not flittering in varied light. I doubt that it?s actually silver as it?s small and in a creek so almost certainly would be oxidized and gray if not black.

To me it almost has to be Rodium or another platinum group metal.

Thoughts? Anything I may not be considering?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got any pix. of them?

OP
OP
O

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got any pix. of them?

I’ll have to try and take some. Not extraordinary really. Just look like flat gold flakes but they are bright silver. Fairly heavy. Some of the last stuff standing when your pulling back a pan.

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Following this thread. I'm in Illinois and I am finding what sounds like the same thing in some of my black sands.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Panned these a couple years ago. Their bigger than'flakes' but they are in the Platinum family :) 004.JPG

OP
OP
O

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am I the only one who’s phone changes correctly spelled words into total nonsense? Lol I just re read my OP and found a few things to edit..... I often proof read as I’m going so if I’m past the word and it’s correct I suppose I shouldn’t assume it will stay that way. Sheesh.

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could just be gold coated with HG. We hit pockets in our creek where a lot of mercury exists. Some is natural and some left by the old timers. Don't rule that out as a possibility.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bright silver? That doesn't describe the platinum group metals as found in nature. PGMs are most often described as dark gray or a sometimes a dull gray steel color when relatively pure. Even pure Platinum (not found in nature) is much duller and more gray than refined silver.

I wouldn't be suspecting Platinum group metals (PGMs). The odds of finding free milling placer platinum are really minimal even in a known platinum mining district. Nuggets? rarer than hen's teeth. East of the Rockies in the United States? You might as well be hunting Chupacabra.

Silver? - native silver is black or gray not shiny. Silver placer deposits are even rarer than platinum.

Tin is a possibility - if you were in a tin producing region. It's heavy and is easily panned. Tin is selling for about $1 an ounce in refined bulk form.

Zircon - often looks like fine shiny metal particles. It's heavy but it's commercial value is around $1300 a ton (four cents an ounce).

The most likely possibility, considering your location, is that you are seeing weathered particles of tin plating (cans etc.) and Babbitt metal (bearings) or aluminum "slaw" from trash dumps and fire pits. There is a lot more of that type of alluvial metal found when panning than either silver or platinum.

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

medusa

Apr 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have found similar flakes and flour sized particles when drywashing in NW Arizona, along with other non magnetics in the final cons. We have never figured out what it is, but agree, it holds on until the very end of the pan.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread