BUCKET LISTER NOVA CONSTELLATIO FOUND ON CHRISTMAS DAY METAL DETECTING!

1LWiL15

Nov 15, 2021
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Barska Winbest Elite Edition, Bounty Hunter TK-IV, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Ace Apex, XP ORX, XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this amazing coin on Christmas at a hunted out site. At first I thought it was a relic because of the shape, but as I brushed the dirt away I saw details. I flipped it over, and immediately saw the rays around the all-seeing eye! CHA-POW! NOVA baby! This variety is from 1785 w/ blunt rays. I still can’t believe it!!:headbang:
Happy New Year everyone!
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 28

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, they were not minted under the authority of the US. They were a private commercial venture, most likely minted in England, and shipped to the US. There were some pattern Nova Constellatio coins made in the US though and these circulating ones were copied from them.
Didn,t know that either,now I do!Thank you.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is the 1832 Halfpenny repurposed, that I was referring to.
Has that squared center.
View attachment 2000054 View attachment 2000055
Makes a lot of sense Pepp. I have a French copper squared off in the middle just like yours and the op. To the op - nice find! Strange they’d use a nova to repurpose. Even in contemporary times they were regarded as novelty coinage. But then again, at some point, they were no longer legal tender and many were re-struck or destroyed.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Makes a lot of sense Pepp. I have a French copper squared off in the middle just like yours and the op. To the op - nice find! Strange they’d use a nova to repurpose. Even in contemporary times they were regarded as novelty coinage. But then again, at some point, they were no longer legal tender and many were re-struck or destroyed.
Thanks Scrappy
I'd love to see a photo of your French copper.
Out of legal tender vs out of necessity?
Needing a fix, no store, or place to get a repair, a copper coin was a easy cheap solution.
Love these types of recoveries as they have character.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread