Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks, been lurking in the shadows as of late, haven't been able to post anything lately, heck I haven't even been able to get out..it's that time of year - I work in industrial heat and we're gearing up making sure our machinery is ready for winter, which requires a lot of travel. However, I was able to get out today, and I stopped by an old permission that produced very little last year-some wheaties and a 1939 Washington quarter. Today started out slow, digging a bunch of small metal tags with very fine wire on them, a couple trashed Zincolns, and then I got a jumpy signal, jumpy but high, flashing from 75 to 85. 7 inches later I pulled this copper, it appears to be a Draped Bust LC, which is my first Draped Bust coin. The obverse is surprisingly nice, the reverse not so much. I'm not a huge expert on old copper, and I haven't got a date yet as I haven't cleaned it yet. I will try to clean it with a toothpick, are there any other ways to bring out the obverse and the date without degradating it further? Other old coppers ive found were toasty and did not respond well to soaking in olive oil. This old girl has some nice green patina which surprised me. I apologize for sideways pics. Any additional feedback would be appreciated, thx for looking. Ddf

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-09-23-11-40-49.png
    Screenshot_2017-09-23-11-40-49.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 161
  • Screenshot_2017-09-23-11-46-33.png
    Screenshot_2017-09-23-11-46-33.png
    961.8 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Upvote 30
OP
OP
dirtdigginfool

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your first Draped Bust.
I agree
You should be able to get a date with that pretty lady.

Thx very much ATW...when I popped it out, I was excited, then I saw the girl facing right, and then a saw the hair! Initially thought Flowing Hair...but some careful picking and a well-placed lick revealed the Bust...Ddf

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey bud. Sorry late to offer BIG congrats on that sweet old coin. She's a BEAUTY! Careful cleaning on her and hopefully you'll get your date. Very nice!:headbang:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would soak it in olive oil for a few days, soft toothbrush and water, pat dry - Repeat as necessary to get a date.

OP
OP
dirtdigginfool

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey bud. Sorry late to offer BIG congrats on that sweet old coin. She's a BEAUTY! Careful cleaning on her and hopefully you'll get your date. Very nice!:headbang:

Thx Kurios! No problem, I dug it last Saturday and flew to Denver for work this week so I'm just getting back in the swing of things. I JUST got a new permission today...one family with a combined 1000 acres with 1700's history with a few log cabins still standing. I CAN'T WAIT to get out there...Now maybe I'll get onto the 18th century! Ddf

OP
OP
dirtdigginfool

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would soak it in olive oil for a few days, soft toothbrush and water, pat dry - Repeat as necessary to get a date.

Thx Xray, great idea...im hoping that will bring some of the details out in the reverse also. Ddf

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread