• Total voters

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Hello all,,,
After the early morning rain shower yesterday I decided to get back out for another hour. This is the only item of interest found on my birthday... It looks more like an old cabnet knob of sorts, but the small square tip on the end looks to have a piece been broken off and there was once a hole through it, like you would see on a button.
If it is a button, it must have been on one heck of a stout coat.
It measures 27mm in diameter, and is about 25mm in length
Not sure which category to stick this one into yet. Please help!, and cast your vote...
Any of you guys with the button books recognize it?
Good luck all, & Happy hunting~

Attachments

• ButtonKnob.jpg
    ButtonKnob.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 263

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I voted knob...see alot of them....even on tnet!!!!

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
I would have to vote button as I see no traces of threads to attach it if it were a knob. Obviously, the back part of this (if it is a button) is missing which would explain why it got lost (and found now).
Maybe it's to something like rubber fireman overalls or something similar that is very heavy duty.
Just my opinion but I will look around to try and get an example to support this view.

Interesting find Leon!
What do you think it is?

Smiles!
BDoo

Angelo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2006
Idaho
It may be a door handle such as the pic shows.

Tony

Attachments

• media.jpg
    media.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 146

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Absolutely not Tony... its the wrong color :D . But remember it it only 27mm in diameter (roughly an inch).

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fleamistress said:
Anybody else think it has a Spanish feel?
right on the size difference...and yes it does reek spanish and it looks like tarneshed brass or bronze.......sort of looks like a rosette too...the square part on the back ???

Attachments

• brass.jpg
    brass.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 176

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
:) No, I was just kidding about the color... sort of a joke regarding some recent posts Tony and I have both noticed about the some of the minutiae on other threads. Sorry for getting silly. -Ben

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
nhbenz said:
:) No, I was just kidding about the color... sort of a joke regarding some recent posts Tony and I have both noticed about the some of the minutiae on other threads. Sorry for getting silly. -Ben

I was being dumb. :P :P :P

If you guys can find a match for this one, I will buy you a beer!!!

John

OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Boobydoo said:
I would have to vote button as I see no traces of threads to attach it if it were a knob. Obviously, the back part of this (if it is a button) is missing which would explain why it got lost (and found now).
Maybe it's to something like rubber fireman overalls or something similar that is very heavy duty.
Just my opinion but I will look around to try and get an example to support this view.

Interesting find Leon!
What do you think it is?

Smiles!
BDoo

I am pretty much with you BDoo... I think it's a heavy duty button.
It looks like what's left of the small end has a piece broken off, where a hole once run through it...
After a million and one button pages I haven't been able to match the pattern, or even the style of button I'm talking about so, I doctor'ed up this pic to show what I think it might have looked like before being broken...
Thanks for all your replies, and comments. They are greatly appreciated...

Attachments

• ButtonPos.JPG
    ButtonPos.JPG
    8.7 KB · Views: 120

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Leon said:
Boobydoo said:

Interesting find Leon!
What do you think it is?

Smiles!
BDoo

I am pretty much with you BDoo... I think it's a heavy duty button.
It looks like what's left of the small end has a piece broken off, where a hole once run through it...
After a million and one button pages I haven't been able to match the pattern, or even the style of button I'm talking about so, I doctor'ed up this pic to show what I think it might have looked like before being broken...
Thanks for all your replies, and comments. They are greatly appreciated...

Hello again and thanks for the update.

Here's a scan of a totally different button not matching yours but I will post it as an example of how I think the back side is designed.

I think it would be like the blue jeans design for their button having a somewhat large disc press-fit or mechanically attached to the stem.

Yours, having the square end may be a anti-rotational feature also for the stud end. This garment, if this indeed a button, would have been very thick material like leather maybe and the button is large to provide functional strength as apposed to adding to the appearance of it.

If it's a button, then I also think there is a piece missing, the back side of the front piece because a button wouldn't have the raised sides and hollow cavity...does that make sense?

I guess we can't be sure yet, but these are my thoughts.

Take care,
BDoo

Attachments

• Example.jpg
    Example.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 100

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Angelo said:
Picky, Picky

Tony...Back to the search.

lol :)
Hey Tony, your thought and example was a good one, who knows...
keep em coming bud. It's always good to get all good ideas out here
for everyone to think about...breeds more ideas and searching!

Smiles!
BDoo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread