When they started pulling the silver coins out of circulation, to be replaced by clad, my dad started saving (hoarding) the silver. He eventually collected together about $225 of it, and I had saved up $75 of it. We went on a vacation, so we put all our silver together in an old metal suitcase, and we buried it in the back yard next to the old power pole there, for safekeeping.
We came back, and later I mentioned to dad that we had buried our silver coins. He had forgotten them, so I showed him where we had buried them, and we dug them up. He later sold our collections to his brother at face value, who owned a coin shop at that time, in another part of the state. Dad was being a nice guy.
But years later, I spoke to dad of those coins we had collected and buried. But like before, he had forgotten that we had buried them when we went on vacation together. He did not remember that at all, years later.
With a lot of people, they will forget that they buried a cache of money. That's why so many caches are still buried, waiting for an enterprising MD'er to come along and find it!
Keep on keepin' on! HH, from Dave