Calcite Stalactite?

nonbreeder

Nov 16, 2019
Primary Interest:
Other
IMG_20190414_150652614.jpgIMG_20190414_150917226.jpgIMG_20190414_150906773.jpg

Does this look like calcite? Found it while clearing out an attic. It's maybe 6 inches long x 2 inches x 1 inch.

Does it have any value or shall I return it to the earth?

I tried a black light flashlight on it and it does not seem to glow (not like my running shoes do - heh).

Oh - this is in Connecticut.

Thanks

Last edited:
It could be, or it could be a rock (mixture of various minerals) like travertine. To see if it is a carbonate try putting a few drops of 5% vinegar or muratic acid on it and look for bubbling/fizzing (vinegar works a bit slower on some carbonates so be patient).

Upvote 0
It could be, or it could be a rock (mixture of various minerals) like travertine. To see if it is a carbonate try putting a few drops of 5% vinegar or muratic acid on it and look for bubbling/fizzing (vinegar works a bit slower on some carbonates so be patient).

Thank you for that idea - it did bubble a little bit, slowly under the surface of the drop of vinegar. So I guess it is a carbonate as you suggested.

Much appreciated...now what to do with it.

Upvote 0
It has all the characteristics of a stalactite. I dont condone removal of cave formations however its been removed and there is no going back. Just keep it as a memory of a wonder that no longer exists. I've been in many cave's that have been vanalized, its a shame, however in your position I would not feel bad keeping it on display. Overall there is not much value but it was a piece of living history once. My thoughts.

Upvote 0
Yes, I would imagine this was broken off long ago. My ancestors came over in 1630 and I have artifacts going back to 1700s. Not long in terms of stalactite formation but long in terms of my short life.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back