Can anyone help me identify my sugar quartz arrowhead please

Aug 28, 2021
Indiana
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello. This little sugar quartz arrowhead was found in Orange County Indiana. I recently received it from my papaw when he passed. He gave me my love for all things natural stone and my aunt gave it to me after his funeral because I was the only grandchild willing to spend all summer with him in the fields. Thank you for any help.

Attachments

• 20210607_175553.jpg
    20210607_175553.jpg
    906.2 KB · Views: 177
  • 20210607_211207.jpg
    20210607_211207.jpg
    927.9 KB · Views: 139
  • 20210607_211152.jpg
    20210607_211152.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 149
Upvote 0

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It’s an obvious point. Here in the Northeast, where, if it were not for quartz, I might as well stay home, a quartz pebble industry developed in the Archaic era, and lasted right through Woodland times. The Northeast was glaciated, and there are quartz pebbles and cobbles everywhere in the glacial till and outwash. A quartz pebble industry developed. All of our so called “small stem” type points, including Wading River, Squibnocket Stemmed, and Lamoka were fashioned from quartz pebbles and cobbles. With Lamoka points in particular, one often sees a patch of cortex remaining at the terminus of the stem. This quartz pebble industry freed hunters from depending on quartz outcrops and quartz quarries. Because it was just too easy to find quartz pebbles and cobbles everywhere.

The point in this thread, if found here in RI, would be an obvious tapered stem variant of a Wading River point.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It’s an obvious point. Here in the Northeast, where, if it were not for quartz, I might as well stay home, a quartz pebble industry developed in the Archaic era, and lasted right through Woodland times. The Northeast was glaciated, and there are quartz pebbles and cobbles everywhere in the glacial till and outwash. A quartz pebble industry developed. All of our so called “small stem” type points, including Wading River, Squibnocket Stemmed, and Lamoka were fashioned from quartz pebbles and cobbles. With Lamoka points in particular, one often sees a patch of cortex remaining at the terminus of the stem. This quartz pebble industry freed hunters from depending on quartz outcrops and quartz quarries. Because it was just too easy to find quartz pebbles and cobbles everywhere.

The point in this thread, if found here in RI, would be an obvious tapered stem variant of a Wading River point.

These are all from one field, sadly under development as I write, and which we walked for 30 years. Every quartz stemmed point seen here was the product of the quartz pebble industry. Although they seem ideal for use as small dart or arrow points, in fact, an analysis of tip wear by the late Jeff Boudreau, who authored the best New England point typology guide, revealed that most of the points that fall into the generalized “small stem” type, were in fact used not as projectiles, but for scoring, boring, graving, and cutting operations. I never knew this myself until reading Jeff’s study, and examining my own collection.

Again, the point in this thread would type as a tapered stem variant of a Wading River small stem quartz point, if found in southern New England….

attachment.php

attachment.php

A nice one…

attachment.php

Attachments

• 9BAEFD80-8F6F-422E-95A2-B3B051F59D76.jpg
    9BAEFD80-8F6F-422E-95A2-B3B051F59D76.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 127
  • 66E56B17-F187-49E4-9AED-3FE5D940672A.jpg
    66E56B17-F187-49E4-9AED-3FE5D940672A.jpg
    392.6 KB · Views: 124
  • 40BD23DE-8212-4BB6-B19D-709641867DBA.jpg
    40BD23DE-8212-4BB6-B19D-709641867DBA.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 275

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a great collection Charl. Such a mirror example of what the OP showed.
Kind if makes me sad just reading that you're loosing an old friend after knowing probably better than anyone over the past 30 years.

DaveSmith

May 26, 2020
western nc.....foothills
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Heres a few of my quartz items from western NC. I Picked some different ones you can compare to. I agree that a lot of quartz I find are "thick".The big one on the lower right came from Spartanburg SC. IMG_6998.JPG IMG_6999.JPG

Last edited:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a great collection Charl. Such a mirror example of what the OP showed.
Kind if makes me sad just reading that you're loosing an old friend after knowing probably better than anyone over the past 30 years.

Thank you. True. It does hurt. My wife and I were the only people to hunt it in all that time. Took my two younger sisters there to find their first points, because I knew if we stayed long enough, they would. And they did.

By coincidence, I was there the day the archaeological salvage firm was there walking the place and digging test pits. I knew nobody knew the place better than I did, so I introduced myself and shared everything I had learned. I figured it was an easy way to provide what the archaeological crew could never accomplish in a few days worth of work. And a way to get recorded all that information, especially with my photos. Told them where best to dig test pits, where best to walk. I think it would have been a shame not to provide that information while I had the chance. I will miss it. It really was our most dependable field.

Edgychris1

Mar 13, 2021
South East New England
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are all from one field, sadly under development as I write, and which we walked for 30 years. Every quartz stemmed point seen here was the product of the quartz pebble industry. Although they seem ideal for use as small dart or arrow points, in fact, an analysis of tip wear by the late Jeff Boudreau, who authored the best New England point typology guide, revealed that most of the points that fall into the generalized “small stem” type, were in fact used not as projectiles, but for scoring, boring, graving, and cutting operations. I never knew this myself until reading Jeff’s study, and examining my own collection.

Again, the point in this thread would type as a tapered stem variant of a Wading River small stem quartz point, if found in southern New England….

attachment.php

attachment.php

A nice one…

attachment.php

Charl,
A couple years back you Identified my first point I found as a bird point. You mentioned you know of an arra that produced points similar for over 30 years. I am assuming these are some of the points. I spotted an epic poplar island in there!!
Amazing!!!

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
Typically, areas of the Southeast did not have much good quality material for making points. The Natives used what they had plenty of,,, " Quartz." It is difficult to work with & does not knap very well, which you can see evidence of in the original post . This makes some people believe that they are not manmade. It did serve its purpose, though. The Tribes of the S.E. farmed a lot, so they were not hunting as much as many Tribes in the country. I grew up in upstate South Carolina & it was rare for me to find a well made point out of good material. I have a pile of quartz points, though. If I did find a nice point, I always figured it may have been made elsewhere in the country, & traded with local natives for their tobacco, which was a huge cash crop . You would think that these points would not be deadly, but I have seen them used to take small game. The penetration may not be as deep as other points, but the points gave a " Judo " affect , much like modern made Judo Points.

Last edited:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Charl,
A couple years back you Identified my first point I found as a bird point. You mentioned you know of an arra that produced points similar for over 30 years. I am assuming these are some of the points. I spotted an epic poplar island in there!!
Amazing!!!

Yes, this site was probably 95% small stem quartz points. I used to think they must have spent their time doing nothing but hunting small game out here, until I read Boudreau’s analysis and realized most small stems are not bird points, but other types of tools altogether. Such points date from Late Archaic into Late Woodland, so hard to nail a narrow time frame at such a site. But, very, very few triangles. In fact, I hunted it for 20 years without a single triangle. Then, found two in one day! Both were Archaic triangles, but towards the end, found Levanna points in an area only plowed last two years. There were other styles, as a minor component compared to small stems: Vosburgs, Susquehanna, Merrimacks, etc. But, basically it was a site that yielded mostly small stem varieties. My photos show a portion of what came out of that site. And cool to have it to ourselves for so long. Farmer told us people used to look there back in the 1930’s and 40’s.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Typically, areas of the Southeast did not have much good quality material for making points. The Natives used what they had plenty of,,, " Quartz." It is difficult to work with & does not knap very well, which you can see evidence of in the original post . This makes some people believe that they are not manmade. It did serve its purpose, though. The Tribes of the S.E. farmed a lot, so they were not hunting as much as many Tribes in the country. I grew up in upstate South Carolina & it was rare for me to find a well made point out of good material. I have a pile of quartz points, though. If I did find a nice point, I always figured it may have been made elsewhere in the country, & traded with local natives for their tobacco, which was a huge cash crop . You would think that these points would not be deadly, but I have seen them used to take small game. The penetration may not be as deep as other points, but the points gave a " Judo " affect , much like modern made Judo Points.

And I think it’s safe to assume skill level varied. As did the quality of quartz. The Mrs. and I have found exceptionally well made quartz points, often even very thin. If you find them in quantity, and, as I noted, if it were not for quartz, I might as well take up another hobby, some will be killer. Indeed, before I realized how dominant quartz was in other regions outside southern New England, and until I was surprised to learn many people actually like finding quartz points, I just grew tired of quartz, quartz, and more quartz. You can’t help but hope for some variety in lithics. But, I do appreciate quartz points, both from an “any port in a storm, quartz points beat no points at all” sense, and because we have found many that are as nicely made as any other point of higher quality, easier to work, lithics.

DaveSmith

May 26, 2020
western nc.....foothills
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
CHARL QUOTE "And I think it’s safe to assume skill level varied. As did the quality of quartz."

I have a friend that knaps and I asked him if he could make points and tools from quartz like the natives did. His reply was "Those boys were good!" I have also asked on this site if any knappers could work quartz and got no replies.........

Last edited:

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes -Quartz is a bugger to knapp. It would not be unreasonable to think that Knappers would specialize in, and favor and master Quartz as a lithic. I don?t believe it was grudgingly used.

In my opinion the point in the OP was very well-made in it?s original finished form. Take careful inspection. It?s quite symmetrical and the base is evenly tapered and intentionally concave. The shoulders are perfectly even and exactly sloped. I don?t agree that it?s as thick as some have commented.
I would like to see a side view.
I believe if it still had the tip, it would be very stunning for a small point.

Many quartz points were well made and as dangerous and precise as any other lithic material. It?s also the hardest lithic on the Mohs scale. Take for example the PF Quartz Snappit Triangle I use in my profile picture. That point was made by an expert knapper of quartz and its as razor sharp as the day it was made.

Last edited:

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Sugar At Times...Can Taste So Sweet!

SUGAR QUARTZ TRANSLUCENT POINT ARROWHEADS INDIAN ARTIFACT WELL MADE INDIANA

attachment.php

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/sugar-quartz-translucent-point-1935312171

Point type: Sugar Quartz Translucent pointLocation found: INDIANAUpdate: I have added photos of my personality drawn maps of the sites where all my artifacts were found. They were drawn in the late 1980's. All sites no longer produce due to no-till practice. Please do not trespass. Maps not included in sale. 2 1/2 inches in length 1 1/4 inch in widthA really nice and well crafted authentic NativeAmericanIndian artifact. It is very well patinated, very well made and nice. ThisSugar Quartz Translucent point was found in North Central Indiana.This piece was found by myself sometime over the last 45 years.It is a no brainer authentic piece. It shows nice use and patination. It is a well made large point.It is made from a nice Sugar Quartz Translucent glossy material.It willmake a nice addition to any authentic collection. With the great history, this will be a very collectible point indeed.MY INDIAN ARTIFACT COLLECTION HISTORYI started hunting Indian Artifacts at a very early age. I lived on a small farm and spent more days outside than I did inside. In the 1960's, all the farm fields were deep plowed. The best hunting days were after the winter snows melted and the first spring rains fell. All my artifacts were found on private lands, mostly on my family's or my good friends land. All my pieces were found in the following counties in Indiana,ClintonCarrollTippecanoe

Attachments

• Arrow Head.jpg
    Arrow Head.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 99

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
FWIW, the best quality milky quartz is a distinct minority in vein quartz overall. The uniformly white stuff, with micro air bubbles evenly distributed through it and blue rarefraction can make really fine points. Compare the recently posted frame of museum-donated Early Archaics. The average stuff though, not uniform in consistency, not so much.

People who knap it say they have to use hard wood, rather than antler, which shatters it.

Last edited:

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
I am glad to see other people interested in quartz points . I LOVE those clear crystal points. There are a few books around about quartz points that may be of interest to readers. There was a hill east of Spartanburg, that was cleared off many years ago. A dirt road circled the top & down one side. All you could see was red dirt, & white/Rose quartz laying on the top !
I have a cousin who is an archaeologist. He also reproduces most any Native American item . He displays & demonstrates these at shows. He has bows, arrows, spears, atlatls, blowguns, pottery, bow drills, fire starters, pottery, etc., etc. , that he has handmade.

Last edited:

DaveSmith

May 26, 2020
western nc.....foothills
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks to all that have answered if anyone knaps them today. And I thought yesterday after seeing the hardness of it, if they used any different tools to use for the quartz. I don't have to ask that today! And threads of this type are why I come here. The pictures of similar artifacts with different locations and other information provided are priceless. The broken one in my pictures from Spartanburg was the first point I found. There was a field where I was working that someone had dumped about 30 big stumps that had been dug up somewhere else. I was just poking around looking at the rocks in the roots and found it.

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
As regards thinness possible with crystaline quartz, its "habit" (hexagonal crystal form) makes it easy for removal flakes to swerve and run along said planes rather than running true as struck.

With even glossy flint (high silica content), there are enough matrix particles in it to disrupt this. But with crystaline quartz, the stuff has a mind of its own and tries, even if unsuccessfuly, to stay hexagagonally faced.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread