What's new

Can anyone pinpoint where Meriwethers ferry was in dyer County, tn?

rferris75

Full Member
Joined
May 1, 2008
Messages
211
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Dfx, Prizm III, Ace 250
Can anyone pinpoint where Meriwethers ferry was in dyersburg, tn? I can find one article on it but no mention of how to locate where it was.
 
Upvote 0
Are you looking for where Street's Battalion crossed on the on the Obion River
 
I found the same as Gypsy...the Obion River.
 
I am not sure...but I think it was owned by George Meriwether....maybe if you could look at an old plat map of landowners along the river...you would find his name.....I just read a book not long ago on the civil war in Dyersburg and it was mentioned....there were several ferries ....I also think that Captain Meriwether lived on Hurt Street and that was his son
 
No not the obion crossing the meriwether I assume was around the chic area I think
 
Try the University of Tennessee geography department, ask for a cartographer, ask him for any old maps of the area you are looking for. Ask for different time period maps. They have the maps recorded digitally and will charge you about $12.00 a map. Go find the county seat and look there also. Good luck.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom