What's new

Carriage Step? & Odd rectangular iron piece

Breezie

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2009
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
2,120
Golden Thread
1
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Carriage Step? & Odd rectangular iron piece

Here are 2 more pieces of iron I found today in the same area as my mule correction shoe, wire wrapped ring, and iron padlock. The first piece looks like a carriage, buggy, or stagecoach step. The 2nd piece is an extremely heavy iron rectangle of which I have no clue what it could be. Any and all help is appreciated. Breezie
 

Attachments

  • Iron2.webp
    Iron2.webp
    67.7 KB · Views: 343
  • Iron3.webp
    Iron3.webp
    52 KB · Views: 336
  • Iron1.webp
    Iron1.webp
    54.8 KB · Views: 328
Re: Carriage Step? & Odd-ball rectangular iron piece

Breezie, the first thing is part of a cross member to a 1946 Hudson. Actually I don't know what it is. :laughing7:
I've found rectanugular pieces like the one you dug in civil war camps. The ones I dug, like your's, didn't have a tongue so I figure it is where several pieces of a harness come together and are attached to the iron piece. It's also possible it could be part of a sling belt or something because of it's width.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Carriage Step? & Odd-ball rectangular iron piece

vayank54 I've found rectanugular pieces like the one you dug in civil war camps. The ones I dug said:
In the same area today, (within 5 to 6 feet) I found a Musket butt plate and a solid iron buckle, so 'tis possible for the rectangular piece to be CW. Also, the mule shoe from yesterday was in the same area. Thanks, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: Carriage Step? & Odd rectangular iron piece

was the butt plate brass or iron? just wondering
 
Upvote 0
Re: Carriage Step? & Odd rectangular iron piece

vayank54 said:
was the butt plate brass or iron? just wondering

It is iron.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Carriage Step? & Odd-ball rectangular iron piece

author=vayank54
I've found rectanugular pieces like the one you dug in civil war camps. The ones I dug, like your's, didn't have a tongue so I figure it is where several pieces of a harness come together and are attached to the iron piece. It's also possible it could be part of a sling belt or something because of it's width.

I don't think it is part of a sling belt because it is way too heavy for a human to wear. I'm thinking more in the lines of being a part to a wagon or used to hold a pot/pan over a fire for cooking. I'm still searching, but can't seem to find anything like it. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: Carriage Step? & Odd rectangular iron piece

Ite. no.1 could be the lower part of a step? I have seen large rectangular cinch rings on pack mules. Here we go with the Mule thing again ;D, Tony
 
Upvote 0
Re: Carriage Step? & Odd rectangular iron piece

Tony in SC said:
Ite. no.1 could be the lower part of a step? I have seen large rectangular cinch rings on pack mules. Here we go with the Mule thing again ;D, Tony

Tony, I think you are 'on' as far as both items are concerned. I'm going to green check this one as solved with the rectangular piece being a mule cinch ring, and the other item being part of some type of step.
Thanks so much.

Since tomorrow is a holiday, I'm headed back out to the same area, if I dig up a MULE who is missing a cinch ring, pulling a wagon/buggy that is missing part of a step, I'll let you know! lol Breezie
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom