What's new

Cast iron farmer’s relic – a flapper of some sort?

Packrat1947

Tenderfoot
Joined
Sep 27, 2010
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I live next to an overgrown orchard. The apple trees are long gone and nature is reclaiming it.

I found this about 6” down. It is a flapper of some sort, and has a heavy counter-weight. The hinge pins are distinctly triangular in cross-section – as to eliminate friction.

I would like to say it is an exhaust/muffler flapper, but that cannot be correct. The little tip looks like it was to used with a spring. I’m familiar with some old-time corn planters and grain-drills, but don’t remember anything like this.

As an aside:
If anyone needs nice ruled scales, here is a good place to get them. I use these on every ebay picture.

http://shop.armorforensics.com/mm5/...e=Redwop&Product_Code=6-3815&Category_Code=88

Thanks for any ideas.
Packrat1947
 

Attachments

  • pre 01.webp
    pre 01.webp
    19.8 KB · Views: 256
  • pre 02.webp
    pre 02.webp
    21 KB · Views: 246
  • pre 03.webp
    pre 03.webp
    16.3 KB · Views: 232
  • pre 04.webp
    pre 04.webp
    13 KB · Views: 245
  • pre 05.webp
    pre 05.webp
    19.3 KB · Views: 239
  • pre 06.webp
    pre 06.webp
    23.5 KB · Views: 236
  • pre 07.webp
    pre 07.webp
    22.6 KB · Views: 248
  • pre 08.webp
    pre 08.webp
    18.6 KB · Views: 238
Something makes me want to say its a flapper too,
a flapper off an old Johnny Putt Putt's exhaust.
Anybody remember those? The old John Deere 2 cycle tractor engines.
Used to hear them out in the fields with their distinctive putt putt ..... putt putt...... putt putt
Sounds like something they might have used in an orchard to
mow and disk.
Then again I could be totally wrong and
it might be nothing more than an old
thigamabob off an old Reo truck
or corn sheller.
​
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom