πŸ”Ž UNIDENTIFIED Cast metal button... what age?

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found an unusual button today while metal detecting a Minnesota site that dates to the 1850s. It is cast metal of some sort, probably pewter or similar, judging by the weight. It is 7/8" diameter, and has a wire shank that is embedded in the cast metal. Not sure of the design but it seems to have a bird(?) and a couple of flowers. I *think* it is in the correct orientation in my photo, but I'm not 100% certain of that. There is no writing on the back... just a rather rough surface from the casting.

Minnesota became a territory in 1849 and a state in 1858, but I have found buttons here that are decades older than that... either brought in on hand-me-down clothing, in grandma's button tin for use in sewing and repair of clothing, or for trade items with the natives. I'm hoping somebody can fill me in on when cast buttons like this were in use and any other information about it that you may have.

kGNU2jl[1].jpg

n7xexbO[1].jpg

M88nlPH[1].jpg

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Late 18th century, possibly into the early19th, but manufacturing changed that time frame and pewter dropped out of fashion. It's a beauty.
Wow! I figured it was old, but not that old. I have found one big Dandy button that may be as old as this but this may be my oldest artifact aside from a native Copper spearpoint!

Upvote 2
OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Late 18th century, possibly into the early19th, but manufacturing changed that time frame and pewter dropped out of fashion. It's a beauty.
Not to doubt what you say in the least, but have you got a source or a term that I can Google or something like that for some more backing for that claim? I love the idea of it being that period but the fact that I know that I love it makes me afraid that I'm simply accepting what I want to hear. Its also nice when bragging to others to have a source other than "this person named Smokeycat says..." LOL! (which, by the way, I already have done with friends tonight)

Upvote 1

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not to doubt what you say in the least, but have you got a source or a term that I can Google or something like that for some more backing for that claim? I love the idea of it being that period but the fact that I know that I love it makes me afraid that I'm simply accepting what I want to hear. Its also nice when bragging to others to have a source other than "this person named Smokeycat says..." LOL! (which, by the way, I already have done with friends tonight)
That's a real nice button save.
Given the fact that things were used over and over, clothing was mended till it fell apart, then the buttons were reused on another piece of clothing, it could very well be the case with this lovely looking one.

From the early I can still remember the large button tin, and helping finding a set of buttons the same for a new shirt/sweater that was being made.

Upvote 2

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tn_buttons_01       button dating.jpg
see button E

Upvote 2
OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, yeah, I've seen that before. I guess my button would fit the 3rd picture most. But I've learned that there may be more to the story:

Pewter buttons were popular from 1700 to 1820, and then were revived in the 1850's. These buttons were molded and often homemade. They were either self-shanked from the molding process or were attached by wire shanks.

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread