What's new

Change we can believe in ... not. (The Coin Counter Scam)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
⛭ Moderator
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2003
Messages
96,821
Reaction score
76,261
Golden Thread
2
🥇 Banner finds
1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BETWEEN THE negligible interest they pay us and the bonanza bonuses they pay themselves, we have reason to hate big banks.

Here's one more: One of them may be shorting you on the free coin-counting service it offers.

Stephen Starkey, a 55-year-old painting contractor, told me that it happened to him - twice - in the Aston branch of TD Bank. The first time, last year, it was only a suspicion. Last Jan. 19 it became a certainty because Starkey patiently counted $286 in coins before running them through the coin counter. He got a receipt for $241.

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/columnists/stu_bykofsky/83784447.html
 
Upvote 0
Re: Change we can believe in ... not (The Coin Counter Scam)

Upon reading the comments I was amazed how:
1. folks were derisive of others saving coins , and
2. seemed to support the banks over the customer.
What gives ?
 
Re: Change we can believe in ... not (The Coin Counter Scam)

I think that most average people who take their change to the banks don't know how much it is since they have been saving it up in jars, etc, that is why they would not know if they were shorted or not.

I have to say though based on my own experiences, the only times I have been shorted is when I cashed in dimes at a couple of particular locations (not TD banks, we don't have those here that I am aware of) and they were counted as pennies. With halves I have not noticed a shortage ever.

Jim
 
Re: Change we can believe in ... not (The Coin Counter Scam)

I've actually come out ahead a few times at TD. Machine jams and tellers that don't know how the machine works. they throw counted coind back in the hopper. One bank I dump at drops halves out the bottom onto floor.

Joad
 
Re: Change we can believe in ... not (The Coin Counter Scam)

I guess I will never "test" a TD bank since it sounds like just a waste of time...
 
Re: Change we can believe in ... not (The Coin Counter Scam)

I don't trust machines. Period.
 
Re: Change we can believe in ... not (The Coin Counter Scam)

LOL. If you have a period at the end of a sentance do you need to spell out the period and then follow it with another period?? I am just kidding around... thought it was funny.

golden silver
 
All machines? Must be hard to sleep with your appliances plotting against you.

Just taking the stuffing out.

Fathead
 
I use TD bank coin counters, and i have been shorted a few times. The staff at the locations i go to have always been nice enough to open it up and clean out all of the coins and just give them to me. Then they will trust me and pay me up to the amount i said.
 
"All machines? Must be hard to sleep with your appliances plotting against you"

I sleep fine. Some machines actually do a good job and make life a lot easier. Do I trust them to always work? No. Do I drop money into them blindly and expect they'll give me the exact amount I'm due? Of course not.
I don't see it as a conspiracy but then I'm not surprised when the heat pump goes out on the coldest day of the year either.
I can co-exist with machines and use them to my advantage but trust them- never.
 
craigpcdmc said:
I use TD bank coin counters, and i have been shorted a few times. The staff at the locations i go to have always been nice enough to open it up and clean out all of the coins and just give them to me. Then they will trust me and pay me up to the amount i said.
I use TD bank coin counters as well, they take any coins, even tokens(tried it last time) :tongue3:
 
i really can't argue with other people who don't trust machines. i, for one, has a money counter or two purchased from a reliable company for a small cafeteria i manage. TD? it has never been my choice but hey, a bank is something that stores money from nothing... zeitgeist is one conspiracy theory that interests me :read2:

_________________
If you're robbing a bank and your pants fall down, I think it's okay to laugh and to let the hostages laugh too, because, come on, life is funny - Jack Handy
 
No problems so far at my bank, If I search a box and pull silver I replace it with clad or know what Im putting in and it always adds up.
 
Re: Change we can believe in ... not (The Coin Counter Scam)

dp2013 said:
I don't trust machines. Period.


Machines aren't the thing you shouldn't trust. It is the people who set up and run the machines that you shouldn't trust.

Basically if the tellers thought they could use sleight of hand and tricks to steal your money from you, they wouldn't have the machines would they?

Trust is a human quality. Machines are machines. They are not human. They neither deserve or require your trust.

You simply do not understand what they are there for. You think that they are all there to serve you and make your life easier. They are not, at least not these machines. They are there to skim a few extra per cent profit from you because the average person is too nice and doesn't want to argue with a machine....
 
fathead said:
All machines? Must be hard to sleep with your appliances plotting against you.

Just taking the stuffing out.

Fathead

amen brother! atm's, money counter, vending machine (?), or anything. c'mon. not all machine will kick your butt...

__________________________________________
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.
 
ran across a neat bank the other day about the size half gallon container with a digital counter on top once its filled I figure I'll pour the change into a bank bag with a note to the amount, and continue to fill the bag ready for dumping. Cost $9.95.
 
onfire said:
ran across a neat bank the other day about the size half gallon container with a digital counter on top once its filled I figure I'll pour the change into a bank bag with a note to the amount, and continue to fill the bag ready for dumping. Cost $9.95.

Got a link to this device?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom