What's new

Civil war artillery round and a token?

Poptopagain

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2009
Messages
87
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's E Serries & Etrac
I would love to get some information on these two dug pieces. The first two pics are of a piece of an artillery projectile and the last is unknown. I'm thinking that it's a token of some kind.

Does anyone know what type of shell this is? It was found not too far from Harper's Ferry, WV. The back piece is made of brass and has the remnants of the iron shell on it. If anybody has any info on this I would love to about hear it.

The token has the letters "A.G. S1M" "J.G. S1M" or "A.G. SIX" on it. This one really has me confused. It looks quite old and about the same size as a quarter.

Thanks for the comments and Happy Hunting.
 

Attachments

  • IMG00195-20101211-1820.webp
    IMG00195-20101211-1820.webp
    88.1 KB · Views: 447
  • IMG00196-20101211-1820.webp
    IMG00196-20101211-1820.webp
    80.8 KB · Views: 449
  • DSC_0248.webp
    DSC_0248.webp
    165.4 KB · Views: 457
I would need to see other pictures to be certain. But the frag looks like a Hotchkiss base. It looks like there are flame grooves in it.
 
Upvote 0
DirtyMike said:
I would need to see other pictures to be certain. But the frag looks like a Hotchkiss base. It looks like there are flame grooves in it.

By the way... I live just outside of and grew up in Harpers Ferry.
 
Upvote 0
All I can tell from the pictures of the projectile is that it was fired from a rifled barrel. Can you give us some measurements from both the lands and grooves? Monty
 
Upvote 0
It's a sabot that goes on the base of a genuine artillery projectile. MOnty
 
Upvote 0
Sorry about the wait. I took the measurements and drew them onto the photo. Looks like the diameter is 3.5 inches. Thanks for comments and Happy Holidays!
 

Attachments

  • IMG00196-20101211-1820.webp
    IMG00196-20101211-1820.webp
    92.1 KB · Views: 297
Upvote 0
I realize this answer for you is a couple of months late, but I haven't visited TreasureNet in a long time.

The piece of artillery shell is definitely from a civil war Read shell (a design patented by Dr. John B. Read of Tuscaloosa Alabama). The kind you found was manufactured only by the Confederacy. Assuming your measurements are precisely accurate, it is from a 3.5"-caliber Read shell, which is a rare size. Your fragment is from the shell's base, and includes the shell's copper sabot. It was made for use in the 3.5"-caliber Blakely Rifle, an advanced type of cannon, made of steel, which was imported through the yankee naval blockade from Britain, early in the war. The Blakely rifles arrived with British-made ammunition. In 1863, when the Confederates could no longer get British ammunition through the ever-tightening blockade, they began to produce their own projectiles for the precious Blakely cannons, using the Read design. The 3.5"-caliber Blakely Rifle had 7-lands-&-grooves rifling, which shows on the copper sabot of your 3.5" Read shell-base.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom