What's new

Civil War Camp Find

coolhand2

Tenderfoot
Joined
Aug 7, 2009
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I found this in Florida at a camp where Union soldiers spent winters. Its dimensions are as follows: Height- 1 5/16" Width- 3/4". It is handmade with internal thread or groove that indicates that it may have been screwed on top of something. The holes on the sides align at a 45° angle and there are impressions scattered about both sides, almost like knife strikes.



1.webp


2.webp


3.webp


4.webp


5.webp


6.webp


7.webp


8.webp


9.webp
 
Looks like part of a barrell tap/spigot
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Looks like part of a barrell tap/spigot

That's what I thought when I first saw it. Just couldn't figure out how it would work being so crude.
 
Upvote 0
Looks like the bowl of a crude homemade pipe to me. The stem would attach at the small hole on the side. monty
 
Upvote 0
Reminds me of old farm equipment piece like this newer version.
 

Attachments

  • DN-00660105.gif
    DN-00660105.gif
    75.9 KB · Views: 387
Upvote 0
coolhand, I must be kind of thick today..you said the 'two holes align at 45 degree angles"? Does this mean there are two holes on the side of the object (as well as the large bottom opening) and the two holes on the side are within a 45 degree radius? Second question...is there any type of hole on the top ? (I realize the large bottom is open) I doubt very much it is a barrel tap by the way. It would have been pointless to manufacture such a thing, particularly out of brass which I assume this is, when it would have been far easier to make an entire working barrel tap out of wood. (even lead would have been an easier, cheaper, and was a tried and true material to use for barrel taps rather than brass.
 
Upvote 0
Johnnyi:

Thanks for the query. I agree with you. The crude, camp made item seems to be for another purpose. The item when standing up does have a hole at the the top....the 45 degree angle I spoke of is would intersect the vertical plane from one side (lower) rising up to the top (higher side). Maybe something affixed to flag staff? Maybe a tent pole device.... I am still stimped!


Cheers,

Chris
 
Upvote 0
coolhand, I'm stimped too. If I understand correctly, it is made of brass, it has a hole at the top, a hole on each side which lie on a 45 degree angle, and the bottom is open? (Is the hole at the top uniform like the one round one on the side?) We also know the inside looks uniformly cast, but the outside looks beat to hell and fooled with over time. One more question...is the grey color on the inside lead residue? If it is, we can assume this was once soldered to another metal piece that stopped at the interior lip.
 
Upvote 0
No, not a pipe, I didn't realize the hole went all the way through. Not a clue. Monty
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom