Civil War Gold Near Clarence, Missouri

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I lived in Missouri, this is one treasure lead that I'd certainly look into. John Chyle is said to have buried $30,000 in gold on his farm near Clarence during the Civil War to protect against theft by bushwhackers. That gold would be worth more than 100 times that amount today! If any of you Missourians find this cache, be sure to remember me and send me a few gold tokens of appreciation. :santasmile:
~Texas Jay
https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...s&proxValue=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=15

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting story. You got any ideas on current land ownership and disposition?
No, I have no more information. I have enough treasure leads closer to home to research but it should only require a trip to the County Clerk's and/or the county's tax appraisal office to find out the current landowners, by using the earlier owners' names from the article.
~Texas Jay

HI-McDunnogh

Sep 7, 2018
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
On a side note, another byline on that page msde my day..."Taste For Watermelon Ruin's Groundhogs Life." :)

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty doubtful that a farmer would have $3,000 back then let alone $30,000!!

PartisanRanger

Feb 17, 2018
Farmington, Missouri
Detector(s) used
2@Garrett Master Hunter CXIII with depth multiplier, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett pro pinpointer, Garrett Ace Apex.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I lived in Missouri, this is one treasure lead that I'd certainly look into. John Chyle is said to have buried $30,000 in gold on his farm near Clarence during the Civil War to protect against theft by bushwhackers. That gold would be worth more than 100 times that amount today! If any of you Missourians find this cache, be sure to remember me and send me a few gold tokens of appreciation. :santasmile:
~Texas Jay
https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...s&proxValue=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=15
This so-called treasure has already been found. The current landowner is from the farmer's side of John and said it had been found. I know this because my friend and I went there and talked to him. He will not let people on his property. It is posted.

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This so-called treasure has already been found. The current landowner is from the farmer's side of John and said it had been found. I know this because my friend and I went there and talked to him. He will not let people on his property. It is posted.
Did he say how much the find was worth or when it was found?
~Texas Jay

PartisanRanger

Feb 17, 2018
Farmington, Missouri
Detector(s) used
2@Garrett Master Hunter CXIII with depth multiplier, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett pro pinpointer, Garrett Ace Apex.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did he say how much the find was worth or when it was found?
~Texas Jay
he did not say. he was pretty much rude about the whole situation. very unfriendly person.

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
he did not say. he was pretty much rude about the whole situation. very unfriendly person.
How did you learn that the treasure was there in the first place?

PartisanRanger

Feb 17, 2018
Farmington, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was gathering notes for my manuscript on guerrilla activities here in Missouri and in my search, I was up in Macon County, Missouri collecting info for my book. On my way back to my friend's house at Troy, Missouri I stopped into Shelbina, Shelby County for gas and they had a museum there, so I stopped in. They have a library of civil war material and I started talking to the curator about what i was doing and she started to bring me all this info and in that material was the story of John's money. The curator did tell me that someone had been in and looked at this too. I did my digging and found the landowner and went to talk to him about this, and that is how I became acquainted with that story. It is a sad affair when landowners refuse to give permission to check out a story. He may have had trespassers at one time or another.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread