This is a cadet sized 20 mm button. It has the Scovill's backmark which was used in the 1850's to 1860's. Conventional wisdom, and the books list it is Episcopal College. The motto in the scroll is "Festina Lente", which in Latin is "Make Haste Slowly". Harry Ridgeway, Tice and Alberts list it as the same. BUT, I have found no firm evidence for this or any other school.
The crossbar of the sword, if you look carefully is the horizontal part of a Maltese cross.
Now, there were numerous Episcopal colleges in the US in 1861. Someone posted a dug one here on Tnet over a decade ago, I have seen at least one more non dug example for sale within the last year. This one is the button Harry Ridgeway had on his website until I grabbed it.
Has anyone seen this button in real life, dug one, etc? And has anyone looked to see which school it was associated with. Just a name is not sufficient. I am aware one was found in Michigan and is posted here from years ago. There are two die varieties of them on non dug buttons. I own one of them.
Creskol thank you for your help but there is nothing to tie the school to the button that I could find. Now the Michigan found button may be tied to an Episcopal school that was near Racine. It was tight with the University of the South, another Episcopal school which provided numerous soldiers for the Confederacy.
Now one school well known for its buttons is the Episcopal High School in Alexandria, VA. Their college was on the same property. I will be calling their historian very soon and go visit that school.
Any help is appreciated.