Civil War Uniform found in barn

danjsargent

Jan 1, 2016
western MA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So not a detecting find but still great. My father in law discovered this in their 1800s farm house barn. I took a pic of one of the dozen buttons (all the same) on the coat that are pristine. Gorgeous! Also discovered the star pin in a little pocket on the coat. Perfect condition again!
The button reads "Mass Militia Volunteer". So cool! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459436360.619651.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459436377.154098.jpg

Upvote 34
OP
OP
danjsargent

danjsargent

Jan 1, 2016
western MA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pictures of the entire jacket will enable folks to ID it pretty quickly as to the age, pre-war, post-war, etc. As mentioned earlier, keep it out of the light and try not to handle it, especially with bare hands - you want to keep the oils off. For temporary storage you might want to place a clean cotton sheet on a big piece of cardboard or plywood, lay the jacket flat/gently on top of it and place another sheet on top of the coat and slide it under a bed and close the door to that room. Whatever you do try to keep it in the bundle as found or if found hanging lay it flat. Do not try to press it flat or loosen clumpy parts of the coat where it might be bunched up or is sticking together. You might also want to contact local museums or the National Park Service Harpers Ferry offices for some stabilization ideas.

Thanks for the great advice!!!

OP
OP
danjsargent

danjsargent

Jan 1, 2016
western MA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Assuming this isn't an early April Fools joke, the first thing would be to keep it out of direct sunlight for any extended period of time. Great find if it's real!

No April fools for sure!

OP
OP
danjsargent

danjsargent

Jan 1, 2016
western MA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is incredible! I hope you are searching every nook and cranny of that barn! Just so happens that I recently found a Mass Volunteer Militia button near my home here in Virginia. It has been a head scratcher because there are no recorded CW battles in the immediate area.

Yes I continue to go through that house and barn. Thankfully it is generations of hoarders so they kept EVERYTHING. Makes for a big mess but fun for me!

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To Dan - Found the buttons in Norwell MA. The more I think about that uniform the more amazing it is.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's crazy. What a find. If something like that was still in that barn, there ought to be some great old bottles in there too.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's crazy. What a find. If something like that was still in that barn, there ought to be some great old bottles in there too.

yeap, detect the floor as well.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding ! I would be looking thru that entire barn one board at a time.

OP
OP
danjsargent

danjsargent

Jan 1, 2016
western MA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

There are lots of great bottles! Way too many for me to go through. Lots of local companies (now long gone) especially medicine bottles.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looking forward to seeing the whole coat. Excellent find :thumbsup:

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How in the world did I miss this?? I've found a very few of those buttons in Central Virginia. This SHOULD be a banner. Why in the world NOT?! Good grief. A dream come true . . .

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just goes to show how shockingly recent that war was in the grand scheme of things... to still be able to find well preserved relics from it even nowadays. T-net members are always digging up more proof that the Civil War is still quite recent history. Not too long ago a few of our members dug up some perfectly preserved pig skin cartridges still containing their powder. I can attest as well as it has been hardly a year sine I found a sword from that horrible war still with its organic ray skin grips intact and everything. Crazy to think how much has changed in such a relatively short amount of time since back then - also amazing at how much has stayed pretty much the same. Amazing find, hope you can preserve it nice and of course find more neat relics in the future too. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread