Civil War Uniforms

monroe35

Sep 7, 2012
Katy, Texas
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hello everyone. I'lm attaching a copy of my Grandfather in his Civil War uniform, which I think you may find interesting. My Father was the youngest in his family, and I was the youngest in my family. He was a member of General J. B. Kershaw's Brigade. 2nd Regiment, Compay H. Here's a quote from D. Augustus Dickert's book History of Kershaw's Brigade , Page 268. "Longstreet's troops had recently been newly uniformed, consisting of a dark-blue round jacket, closely fitting, with light-blue trousers, which made a line of Confederates resemble that of the enemy, the only difference being the "cut" of the garments--the Federals wearing a loose blouse instead of a tight-fitting jacket. The uniforms of the Eastern troops made quite a contrast with the tattered and torn home-made jeans of their Western brethern."

Attachments

• Grandfather.jpg
    Grandfather.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,094
Last edited:
Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice picture. I wish I could see a close up of the buckle and breast plate.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice picture and that is a sharp looking uniform. As a Confederate reenactor, I can appreciate it.

The quote is interesting as well. There was much confusion on the field regarding uniforms. At 1st Manassas (July '61) it likely turned the tide of the battle when Union troops did not fire on approaching troops they mistook for reenforcements. At Sharpsburg (Sept. '62) Union troops did nopt fire on A.P. Hill's troops because they had just captured the quartermaster stores at Harpers Ferry and were mostly dressed in Yankee blue.

I WILL however take exception to the last part of the quote. I've read first hand accounts of large numbers of Confederate troops being captured late in the War and many did not even have trousers. Military issue clothing was expected to last about 3 months in the field and replacement uniforms rarely were resupplied that often.

DCMatt
13th Virginia Infantry, Company I

OP
OP
M

monroe35

Sep 7, 2012
Katy, Texas
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
fyrffytr1, Thanks for your interest. Most of our family's historical records, i.e. birth, death, marriage, other personal information was destroyed when Sherman marched to the sea, burning most everything in his path. Thiis photograph was discovered in a church's records near Camden, S.C. It has been tinted as you can tell. We were unable to see what was on the buckle etc. I'm guessing probably the print of a Palmetto bush or tree. If we ever identify the buckle or other items, I will make note to let you know. monroe35

OP
OP
M

monroe35

Sep 7, 2012
Katy, Texas
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hello, DCMatt. Thanks for your comment. I understand your exception to the 2nd part. That information was taken from a book History of Kershaw's Brigade by D. Augustus Dickert published in 1990. I envy your participation as a reenactor; that must really be exciting. monroe35

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
I enjoyed your post. I learned a thing or two as well. Thank you sir.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was reading a diary from a union officer as "swarms of butternut colored rebels ran over his position" I think the South had many styles and flavors in the dress they wore. Thanks for the pictures and story.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread