What's new

Clay Pipe ID needed found in western Washington State coastal river

goldentrouter

Tenderfoot
Joined
Oct 17, 2009
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Hi, I am hoping someone can help me identify/date a clay pipe (my first) I found that was on a gravel bar on my property in coastal Washington State. It is a large tidal river.
It has only the indentions on the side to ID..anything else is worn and gone it appears.
thanks!
 

Attachments

  • pisde.webp
    pisde.webp
    27.8 KB · Views: 848
  • pie.webp
    pie.webp
    26.3 KB · Views: 747
Welcome to Tnet goldentrouter :hello:

That's a nice clay pipe :icon_thumright: The indentations are letters or symbols?
 
Upvote 0
Based on the size of the bowl, I would say late 1800s.
 
Upvote 0
I would say crusader is right.
 

Attachments

  • pipes.webp
    pipes.webp
    45.1 KB · Views: 2,666
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
taz42o said:
I would say crusader is right.

Very good picture :icon_thumright:

Agree very nice pic. Those clay pipes dates back pretty far. Goldentrouter's pipe would be 11 or 23?
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
IronSpike said:
CRUSADER said:
taz42o said:
I would say crusader is right.

Very good picture :icon_thumright:

Agree very nice pic. Those clay pipes dates back pretty far. Goldentrouter's pipe would be 11 or 23?

23

Thanks :thumbsup: I've yet to find a clay pipe. Other than damaged owl I think goldentrouter's pipe appear in pretty good dug condition. Nice pipe :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for your insight! So, I am sticking with a mid to later 1800's pipe.
The indentions are the same on both sides and appear to be symbols and no letters. It has tumbled down a river so it is smoothed out.
Non-natives had just arrived in this area to start logging and farming I suppose although ships were here earlier-Grays Harbor in Washington State. I wonder if natives used these pipes? I read something about trade pipes?

This site will be great as I have for years found things at our river and wondered what the items were. The river is big and we flood alot so old farms and such get washed down the river in pieces. Milk bottles to tools..agates and fossils too.
Our farm dates back 100 years as well so I need to get a metal detector going!

Thanks again for the nice welcome ;D
 
Upvote 0
Yeap you need a metal detector :icon_thumright: I think many eye spotted or dug non metal finds are just as cool as what you'll find while you metal detect.
 
Upvote 0
goldentrouter said:
Thanks everyone for your insight! So, I am sticking with a mid to later 1800's pipe.
The indentions are the same on both sides and appear to be symbols and no letters. It has tumbled down a river so it is smoothed out.
Non-natives had just arrived in this area to start logging and farming I suppose although ships were here earlier-Grays Harbor in Washington State. I wonder if natives used these pipes? I read something about trade pipes?

This site will be great as I have for years found things at our river and wondered what the items were. The river is big and we flood alot so old farms and such get washed down the river in pieces. Milk bottles to tools..agates and fossils too.
Our farm dates back 100 years as well so I need to get a metal detector going!

Thanks again for the nice welcome ;D
that or you need to make friends with someone who does have a metal detector. and tobbaco for your pipe
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom