Cleaning Clad

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best way that I have found, and I found it here on T-Net. Quarters and dimes, (Clad), with a rock tumbler, I will put say 50 quarters, or 100 dimes in the barrel, and add lemon juice just enough to cover the coins, add two teaspoons of salt, the gravel, and tumble for about an hour, dump it in a strainer, (I do it outside) rinse really well, (the salt), and your good to go. Sure, you can mix quarters with dimes together and then tumble. When I said 50 quarters or 100 dimes, I was going by what was recommended with a tumbler saying 100 pennies max. I figured 100 dimes, and quarters being bigger.... Nickles, same thing, EXCEPT, do NOT mix with clad quarter or dimes, the copper content will most likely turn the nickels, "Pink". And you may want to keep enough gravel stuff to use just for the nickels, again, the copper part of the clad may leave traces of copper in the gravel. To keep that part simple for guys like me, I ordered two different colors of gravel from "Finch Products", one in blue (for nickels) and the other in red (for the clad), and keep them separate in their own containers. OK then, a bit long winded of a reply, but there you have it SocJolley.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazon has some coin cleaning machines, but me I just use a small stiff bristle brush after they soak in dish soap and water to scrup the crud off. I don't do that very often, but on the coinage I dig out of the cup holder of mama's car that got sticky spilled soda in it with all the change she dropped in it glued together. I also do the same thing on the coinage that piles up on the bottom of her purse all caked up with lipstick and powder makeup. I'm a penny pincher and she's not. If she leaves bills and coins in her jeans before she drops them in the washing machine I then pick them out already cleaned.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
no one believes me,but i just put them in my washing machine and leave them in there for a month or two, they cant go anywere.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_moved_over.gif
I moved ya from HELP! over to CLEANING & PRESERVATION for more exposure.

tn_notice.gif
NOTE: Forum HELP! Description: This section contains guides tutorials on how to use the new TreasureNet.com software.

qtrs-xcite-me

Mar 28, 2022
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
I have been detecting for 14 months now and have tried countless ways to clean clad (65 and newer dimes, nickels, and quarters and 82 and newer zinc pennys). I have tried various chemical combinations involving lemon juice, olive oil, Dawn detergent, vinegar, salt, Crud Cutter, Simple Green, baking soda, etc. I have tried ultrasonic and vibratory tumbler with various grits. I finally have found a combination that is working! Inexpensive hobby rock tumbler with a single tub about 4.5" in diameter and 3.5" high (inside). Fill about 1/3 full of aquarium gravel, add up to a couple dozen coins (zinc and silver separately), add 1/4 teaspoon Wind Fresh laundry detergent (high efficiency, low suds product from Sam's). Cover with distilled water and tumble for 2 hours on medium speed. This is working great for most coins. Sometimes I hold a coin over for a second run. Do not add baking soda - that is the only time I experienced pressur build up.
coin tumbling before r.jpg

coin tumbling after r.jpg

Kype

Mar 4, 2019
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tejon/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
interesting post. i have some clad that looks horrific. it looked good coming out but after sitting it really looks bad.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread