Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all. Been a while since I've posted. So far this year it's been pretty dull + for some reason got kinda burned out.

About a month ago was out hunting with Frank and noticed a tick in my leg while showering. About a week later was burning up with a 103 Temp for 3 days, so called 911 as my wife was not home & I was too sick to drive to the ER.

I went thru a battery of blood tests, chest x-rays, CT scan as well as a spinal tap. 8hrs later all of the tests came back negative but they figured I might have lyme (which takes a few weeks to show up), so to be safe was put on Doxycycline for 3 weeks as a preventative measure.

Took about 3 days to feel about 90% as when you get a spinal tap, you get a pretty good headache until the fluid around your brain is replaced.

Long story short, just spaying repellant on your pants does NOT keep those buggers at bay so I've invested in this and wanted to pass this along:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...23916&fg=Brand

http://www.columbia.com/mens-insect-...'s&start=0

Thanks,
Roger

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info. I have a friend about to go to Africa and this might be a good investment over gallons of mosquito repellant.

Thanks for this post... I'll be investigating these further! Hate ticks!!

A FREIND OF MINE THAT VISITS EVERY OTHER NITE SISTER HAD HEADACHES .FATIGUE,MUSCLE CRAMPS DOCTOR REPORT LYME LATE STAGE. SHE IS PRETTY SICK ANTIBIOTICS HOPFULLY BUT THEY SAID SHE MAY FEEL BETTER BUT WILL ALWAYS HAVE LASTING SYMPTOMS. I FOUND 3 DEER TICKS SO DARN SMALL HAD TO PLACE UNDER MICROSCOPE TO VEIW THE DANG THING. THE BUDDY I JUST MENTIONED SAID HIS GRASS IS ABOUT 18 INCHES TALL AND SURROUNDED BY DEER AND I BELIEVE THIS IS WHERE THEY COME FROM BECAUSE COMPUTER WAS LYING ON COUCH BESIDE HIM I PICK IT AND NOTICE THEM GOING ACROSS THE SCREEN. TOLD HIM NOT TO COME BACK I DONT NEED THIS AND NEITHER DOES MY WIFE. DANG GUY IS SO FRUGAL WILL NOT BUY A LAWNMOWER.

Sorry to hear about your health scare. I used to not worry at all about ticks - would get home and pull a dozen off without thinking anything of it. Now hearing so much about limes disease I take more precaution including limiting my woods time in the summer months.

The clothing that you mentioned is treated with permethrin that helps to repel the ticks. You can also buy this spray and apply it to most any clothing including socks and underwear. Here is a link to the product I use. It really does help cut down on those buggers getting to those private places.

https://sawyer.com/products/permethrin-premium-insect-repellent/

I use permethrin spray on my clothes and havent had a tick since using the stuff i go on ebay and buy a bottle for around 25 dollars . It last up to six washes in the laundry and about forty days before it dissipates from the clothes

I like to use that but I think it only last a couple of washes. I find that if you can't smell it on your clothes, it's probably gone. Nothing survives when it on though, I have dead bugs on my pants all the time from it. I also spray my boots with deep woods off before i go out. It seems to stop them from crawling up the boot and under the pants. The one time I got Lyme I was lucky and got the rash,instant diagnosis

Last edited:
Bug Tamer suit. I've had one for years.

I've sat still in the Everglades at dusk on an airboat with my full suit on. The face covering was black with mosquitoes, and not one bite. Ticks can't get through either.

Thanks for the info on permethrin, I just got eaten up by chiggers last weekend so I ordered a bottle from Amazon!

With my work I'm in different yards a couple of times a day so I spray my shoes with the permethrin a couple of times a week, then spray my pants from the knees down too. I then spray deep woods off deet on my arms and down the back each morning before getting in my car. I've only gotten mosquito bites twice this year and that was from some buggar that flew in the house.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back