Coiltek 5x10 for etrac. I'm underwhelmed, to say the least....

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been out for about 3 hrs this morning with my new coil. Wow. I am not impressed. Iron falsing with this coil is out of control. I've resorted to setting my machine sensitivity to way less than I ever have to with the stock 11" coil. From 21-24 with the stock coil to 16 or so.

Depth seems to be horrible, as well. I've dug a couple 6" dimes, but they sounded really weird. Like an iron nail falsing. You know, the high-to-low ascending or descending tone?

It also LOVES bottle caps. The only way I've been able to get this coil to run well is in two tone ferrous, but even then, my trust is lacking and signals seem to be all over the place stability-wise. Anyone else run the coiltek 5x10 on an etrac? I see NO advantage over the stock coil. In fact, this seems like a serious downgrade!

Upvote 2

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No 5x10 coil will ever have the depth of the stock 11" coil. Larger coil always equals more depth. I use a SunRay 8" round coil on my Safari, absolutely love it, have hit dimes at 9". It may not deliver the depth of the original coil but I am not looking for more depth, I have the Coiltec 15" for that. In general Coiltec coils are "hot", more sensitive coils, I am not surprised you have to turn sensitivity down a bit with a hotter coil.

OP
OP
DiamondDan

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No 5x10 coil will ever have the depth of the stock 11" coil. Larger coil always equals more depth. I use a SunRay 8" round coil on my Safari, absolutely love it, have hit dimes at 9". It may not deliver the depth of the original coil but I am not looking for more depth, I have the Coiltec 15" for that. In general Coiltec coils are "hot", more sensitive coils, I am not surprised you have to turn sensitivity down a bit with a hotter coil.
Thanks for the reply. Maube I just need a bit more time with this coil. I understand that the depth will not be the same as the stock coil. I guess my number one issue so far is the instability of the signals.

Anyone that is proficient with an fbs machine can immediately recognize iron falsing by the cascading tone it makes along with the intermittent Minelab "grunt". The problem I have with this coil is that even the "deeper" (6-7") coins I dug sounded like nails. That has never been a problem for me with the stock coil. I actually figured this out by digging red flag signals out of desperation...

Maybe I need to mess with the settings a bit more. Again, thanks for your insight.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one too, but, not the problems you're apparently having. Mine works fine for what it is. Not a depth demon for sure, but, great in tight areas where you still need to cover some ground. If you don't need it for tight areas, the stock or even a bigger coil will give you the depth.

Jun 5, 2022
Been out for about 3 hrs this morning with my new coil. Wow. I am not impressed. Iron falsing with this coil is out of control. I've resorted to setting my machine sensitivity to way less than I ever have to with the stock 11" coil. From 21-24 with the stock coil to 16 or so.

Depth seems to be horrible, as well. I've dug a couple 6" dimes, but they sounded really weird. Like an iron nail falsing. You know, the high-to-low ascending or descending tone?

It also LOVES bottle caps. The only way I've been able to get this coil to run well is in two tone ferrous, but even then, my trust is lacking and signals seem to be all over the place stability-wise. Anyone else run the coiltek 5x10 on an etrac? I see NO advantage over the stock coil. In fact, this seems like a serious downgrade!
Spot on to my observations also. I added this coil to try and reduce the amount of iron under my coil and was disappointed by its performance. I put about 50 hours on it before I gave up and went back to stick ETrac coil and tried to battle the iron.

Eventually, I purchased a Sun Ray 5” puck and have been pleased. Seems to be much more stable. Yes, reduced depth but not the objective when reducing coil size generally. The Coiltek is gathering dust in my garage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread