Coinmaster Gt

The coinmaster GT is a great machine for the price and features it comes with. of course its not the best and as airscapes mentions it is limited by its coil options . i have hunted with another member swinging a AT pro and we would check each others signals, everything the AT hit, the GT hit as well, with the same ID's.

I always run in all metal mode with sensitivity 1 notch below max .I always lock the tracking, I do not like the auto tracking and have missed signals because of it . First thing at every site I ground balance( even though the manual says you don't have to) then lock the track. the only time i've ever encountered EMI was when hunting next to an electric fence , then i would have to drop sensitivity to 2 below max. Deepest coin so far was a silver quarter at 8 inches.

I'm very glad i purchased this machine because no matter where this hobby takes me (V3i here i come!) I will always have this machine to back me up.

Interesting, I have tired locking the tracking a couple of time with mixed results. I do notice much more tracking going on in iron infested trashy areas then I did in a horse field with little trash so I must be trying to track out the iron junk.. And yes, could miss something near by during the ground balance adjustment...

Interesting, I have tired locking the tracking a couple of time with mixed results.

if i start to notice changes in the soil i will re-ground balance and lock it for the new soil.

i just don't trust it ,or any detector for that matter ,constantly tracking .Also the soil in my area is pretty low in mineralization

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me what you get on the MX5 that you dont get on the Coinmaster GT?

not entirely sure but i think it has the MXT series technology, more options for discrimination , it runs at a higher frequency then the GT(mx5 14khz, GT 8khz) and has a lot more options for coils. They probably should have made it look different then the GT because from what i understand it has nothing in common with the GT

Have you tired it in the wet sand with beach mode? If you are using beach mode in the dry sand that may be reducing your depth. I have yet to get to the beach to try it in wet sand and was wondering how well it works. Not sure if they reduce sensitivity or shift the ground balance up to around 0 for the salt when that beach mode is on..

Also if you are having issues with dept in dirt, it may be your have considerable mineralization and the DD coils on your Garrett doe better than the concentric.

I've used it many times in wet sand mode. It will still grab coins in the wet/damp sand but not close to the water line. Most of the clad I find at the beach is about 5-6 inches.

Airscapes I think the Garrett's are just deeper. We have good soil in the Houston area. I consistently pull dimes and pennies at 9-10 with my ATP. I too wish they made some different coils for the gt but for what it is , it's a very good machine. In fairness the ATP is a more expensive detector so it should be getting more depth. I run the NEL Sharpshooter on my ATP.

The one thing about the gt that stands out is the pinpoint indicator. When you press the pp button the indicator will tell you what kind of metal you're pinpointing. I love that feature. It's also simple to use and a very good teaching detector for a beginner. And make no mistake , it flat out gobbles clad at the beach or anywhere else.

FTR Airscapes I'm not bashing the gt in comparison to my Garretts. It's not a Whites vs Garretts paradigm. One member in my metal detecting club has a high end Whites and he pulls finds that would make you drool. I know I do. I'm going to south Texas to hunt in a few weeks. Knowing the history of those 2 acres I'm going to hunt, the first detector I will use is my gt.

Last edited:
I know you are not bashing it , I just know that a DD has better depth in mineralized soil and does need to be considered when comparing. I have the NEL Hunter DD on my GT and never take it off, it has better depth and separation than the Stock spider. Unfortunate the current run of these coils do not work well on the GT, they overload and NEL says the do not work. Not sure why mine works, but I bought it when they advertised that they did worked on the GT . I am just surprised your machine only hits 5-6 inches in dry sand sand or is that wet? Mine will air test using a quarter giving a clean tone at 10" and broken at 12" with the stock spider. Just figured dry sand would be about like air. Truthfully I have not pulled any coins from much deeper than 6" in my parks and ball fields.. Metal Army Men and 1950 cast toy truck..Yeah, 12+". Those little brats burred everything deep in my back yard back in the 50s!

Last edited:
Airscapes I wish Mars coils would make a coil that worked on the gt. Their coils appear to have the most depth I can find. However I don't know where to get one in the US.

"I am just surprised it only hits 5-6 inches in sand" < It will probably go deeper but that is where I find most clad. I usually go on a Sunday night when the drops are fresh. Last year in the summer I hit a particular beach 4 consecutive Sunday nights. Not only do I get the enjoyment of swinging my detector but the sand on my feet feels good.

Last edited:
So how do you like the 9 tones on the GT compared to the Garrett? I picked up the DFX (Still waiting for it to be shipped back from whites) and didn't realize the tones could not be configured. I was confusing it with the new V series. So tone ID on the DFX is 191 different tones.. Not sure how that will work out but going to give it a go as I don't want to look at the screen constantly. And as much as the GT sounds like an 80s video game, you KNOW when you have a coin under the coil.. vs anything else. Not sure the DFX is going to be anywhere as crisp as the CMGT... of course it is a lot older..

The tones are great. I agree , you know when you have a coin. The Garretts have more of a slot machine sound on coins. My ears are tuned to both kinds of detectors. I know Minelab sounds like a spaceship. For my liking 9 tones is about as much as I would want to deal with. I'm not an old school guy who learned via tone recognition. I've only been in this hobby for 14 months. I like the vdi screens.

Airscapes let me know how your DFX does. I'm trying to get access to an island off the coast of Louisiana closer to the summer and I want a dual frequency machine. I'm looking at a CZ 3D (used). If your DFX does well in the salt water I might be interested in that as well. The island I am trying to get on is sometimes totally submerged in salt water so there will be some mineralization issues.

Last edited:
The tones are great. I agree , you know when you have a coin. The Garretts have more of a slot machine sound on coins. My ears are tuned to both kinds of detectors. I know Minelab sounds like a spaceship. For my liking 9 tones is about as much as I would want to deal with. I'm not an old school guy who learned via tone recognition. I've only been in this hobby for 14 months. I like the vdi screens.

Airscapes let me know how your DFX does. I'm trying to get access to an island off the coast of Louisiana closer to the summer and I want a dual frequency machine. I'm looking at a CZ 3D (used). If your DFX does well in the salt water I might be interested in that as well. The island I am trying to get on is sometimes totally submerged in salt water so there will be some mineralization issues.

The DFX does great in salt water, with a Preamp Gain of 3,AC sens 76, and DC 50, recovery speed 30, best data. It will go down a clean 9-10" in wet sand here in FL on a penny/quarter with no chatter except EMI. The Whites DFX and the CZ-20 are my go-to beach machines.

The DFX does great in salt water, with a Preamp Gain of 3,AC sens 76, and DC 50, recovery speed 30, best data. It will go down a clean 9-10" in wet sand here in FL on a penny/quarter with no chatter except EMI. The Whites DFX and the CZ-20 are my go-to beach machines.

Thanks for the info.

So you have EMI problems even on the beach?

So you have EMI problems even on the beach?

Yes the beaches here are in very close proximity to high rise condos and commercial establishments with many sources of EMI, the DFX is EMI sensitive.

Yes the beaches here are in very close proximity to high rise condos and commercial establishments with many sources of EMI, the DFX is EMI sensitive.
Yes, I guess there would be a bunch of hotels on a beach.. what was I thinking.. So far, seems like the 3kHz frequency of the DFX is fairly usless if you want to use it in a populated area where the people are that drop stuff.. A bit disappointing but I had read this was an issue.. just figured it was over blown.. but I guess not.

Yes, I guess there would be a bunch of hotels on a beach.. what was I thinking.. So far, seems like the 3kHz frequency of the DFX is fairly usless if you want to use it in a populated area where the people are that drop stuff.. A bit disappointing but I had read this was an issue.. just figured it was over blown.. but I guess not.

With Correlate on and adjustments in AC, Pre-amp, it can be mitigated big time. However your depth will suffer, the DFX with preamp gain of 3, sens of 70 still gets 8-9" or so in mild soils and is fairly quiet unless you are around buildings and it could care less for salty wet sand. This is why the DFX is my non wading beach machine, even though the hotels are nearby they typically are 150 feet or more away giving me good headroom. Close to these building inland i use the Gamma, Delta.... However i love the DFX, when properly setup and away from strong EMI, it works seamlessly in the beach dry to wet and it will not miss anything down to 10.5" inches.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back