What's new

Colonial trashpit diggin and river walkin

Pacivilwarluke

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2013
Messages
271
Reaction score
441
Golden Thread
0
Location
York PA, Edisto Beach SC, Shepherdstown WV
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Colonial trashpit diggin' and river walkin'

Yesterday it was kinda yucky out ( but cool, only the low 80s) in the lowcountry so I decided to go trashpit digging! I spent about one and a half hours digging one out and found some decent colonial relics! The highlight was 96 pipe stems mostly dating to the mid 1700s ( that makes about 250-300 from this pit so far) but I found a few other things, I got a tiny thimble and another stud backed gilted rosette, a musketball, a brass ring, and some piece of iron that needs IDing. Of course ghere was tons of pottery too, but I only picked up the pretty pieces. Brick, oyster, bone and nails are everywhere too. It reminds me of something from a fireplace/hearth for some reason. I also found some things walking a river down here, the highlight being the neck and lip of a black glass mallet or onion bottle but I also got two more necks that are proabbly mid 1700s with really crude lips but they aren't black glass. Also, one of the clay pipes has an 8 in it, any idea? Size, or makers mark?
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    800.3 KB · Views: 170
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    400.9 KB · Views: 159
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    203.1 KB · Views: 149
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    67.2 KB · Views: 150
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    425.8 KB · Views: 155
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    150.5 KB · Views: 140
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    116.1 KB · Views: 131
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    110.8 KB · Views: 126
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    118.8 KB · Views: 131
Upvote 24
LOOK HERE LUKE WITH THOSE 1700S FINDS . SEEMS YOU FOUND A GOOD SPOT TO DIG UP THESE RELICS FROM COLONIAL TIMES. PIPE STEMS AND BOTTLES TO BUCKLES AND MORE THATS A NICE SITE YOU FOUND SO GO BACK AND FIND SOME MORE. WHAT A GROUP OF HISTORY YOU HAVE THERE MUST BE NEAT TO FIND A SPOT LIKE THIS AND KNOW EACH TIME YOU PULL SOMTHING OUT OF THE GROUND THAT IT HAD A SIGNIFICANT PURPOSE TO THE PERSON WHO HAD IT.
 
Really nice bunch of finds.

Funny how that blue and white pottery always shows up in trash pits. I have quite a few of those fragments from multiple spots.

Musta' been real popular back in the day.

Id say I find the blue feathered edge more than any other pottery, I also get green edge but I believe that's early 1800s.
 
LOOK HERE LUKE WITH THOSE 1700S FINDS . SEEMS YOU FOUND A GOOD SPOT TO DIG UP THESE RELICS FROM COLONIAL TIMES. PIPE STEMS AND BOTTLES TO BUCKLES AND MORE THATS A NICE SITE YOU FOUND SO GO BACK AND FIND SOME MORE. WHAT A GROUP OF HISTORY YOU HAVE THERE MUST BE NEAT TO FIND A SPOT LIKE THIS AND KNOW EACH TIME YOU PULL SOMTHING OUT OF THE GROUND THAT IT HAD A SIGNIFICANT PURPOSE TO THE PERSON WHO HAD IT.

Thanks! It's great that it's so isolated that whenever I get a decent signal it's a colonial relic! I'll be back as much as I can!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom