What's new

Commemorative Halfs.........

mistergee

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2008
Messages
3,370
Reaction score
40
Golden Thread
0
Location
Pennsylvania
how many can we name and how many are there....i'll start with one i got from my dad
sesquicentenial half
 
Upvote 0
I've only owned two (besides a bicentenial kennedy) and both of them have been found by other t net members, at banks, in the last two weeks:

Columbian Exposition
Stone Mountain (i always want to say smokey mountain... had to look it up on ebay)

I think the columbian was found at a bank by a tneter, but it may have only been the one that i saw for trade.
 
mistergee said:
how many can we name and how many are there....i'll start with one i got from my dad
sesquicentenial half

I think there many sesquicentennial halves do you know what state or city yours is from? I have given up trying to put together a complete set of commemorative halves from CRH. Some of the early ones had pretty low mintages. I am trying to put together one from 1982 on and have found quite a few.

George Washington in both proof and business strike
Statue of Liberty in both proof and business strike
Mount Rushmore
Atlanta Olympics (Basketball)
Civil War

65GT350
 
GT...not sure what state....it doesn't say anything on the coin :icon_scratch:...how do i tell?
 
Korean War, POW, Spanish Trail, Isabella quarter, Lafitte, USMC
 
I have two Columbian Expositions 1892 or 3 and a Booker T. Didn't find them,they were thrown in when I was buying circulated silver halves.
 
I have found the following comm halves...........
1893 Columbian Exposition
1925 Stone Mountain (with a hole in it....ahhhh)
1951 Booker T. Washington
1982 George Washington (3-4 of these...proof and D mint)
1986 Statue of Liberty

On my wish list.........Oh, I'll take any I find but I just like these designs....lol..................
1925 Diamond Jubilee
1926-1939 Oregon Trail
1935 Spanish Trail
 
Found a 1995 olympic comm half. Pretty beat up though. It has basketball players on the front.
 
looks like 20 so varieties( not including diff. dates).....i heard of a girl scout one
 
Wow thanks for the link Stdevil...thats a load of commemoratives....how come the olympic ones aren't listed....and i know i heard of a girl scout one :icon_scratch:
 
Here are the one's I have found in 1 full year of searching.

1893 Columbian Expo (just found 12/18/08)
1982 George Washington
1986 Statue of Liberty
1991 Olympics
 
i think the list on that link is a little short of complete....theres no Liberty or Diamond Jubilee either :icon_scratch:
 
I scored a Civil War last week. Nice looking and with a mintage of 330,000 it is pretty rare.

Maine_Jim
 
mistergee said:
never heard of the Columbian Exposition.....good one :thumbsup:

Evidently, there was some kind of a trade show, or something, in the North East, back in the late 1800s, comemmorating Columbus discovering the United States. The US Mint issued a comemmorative half dollar, and the post office issued the first special comemmorative stamps ever, also called columbians, just for the expo. The stamps are very valuable and collectable. The set consists of 16 denominations, ranging from 1 cent to five dollars, with a mint condition $5.00 black selling for as much as $4000.00 today. I also know of a variety of the 2 cent denomination, called the broken hat variety. It's worth a lot to, but I don't remember how much.

I've collected coins for years, and had never known about comemmorative half dollars, until this past year.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom