Confederate Gold in Missouri

St6123

May 18, 2010
OKay so has anyone heard the legend of gold in Neosho Missouri. It is said that when UNion soldiers overran the town it forced several confederate soldiers to retreatinto a cave with some large sum of confederate gold. The Union then blew the entrance to the cave trapping the soldiers inside with the gold. It is said that the gold is still in the caves of Neosho somewhere along with the bodies of the soldiers. My friend and I have been searching for about 3 month for this and have recieved much grief from our fellow unbelieving friends, but we are determined to find it. We have searched suggested caves and are now trying to broaden our search.if you have ever heard of this legend or ever researched this legend please contact me at [email protected]

kcirishguy

May 27, 2012
Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This story has filtered all the way up to the Kansas City area. I remember being told about it at a "haunted places in Missouri" meeting back in high school. Not the best footnote I realize! But that type of oral tradition comes from someplace. Best of luck in your search.

Sniper79

Mar 17, 2017
Bella Vista, AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Bella Vista and hunt that area of MO a lot. I have ran across several old timers that talk about the story but I have not been able to unearth anything on it.

-James

KReese

Jan 17, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have lived in Neosho for several years and have heard this story.

OKay so has anyone heard the legend of gold in Neosho Missouri. It is said that when UNion soldiers overran the town it forced several confederate soldiers to retreatinto a cave with some large sum of confederate gold. The Union then blew the entrance to the cave trapping the soldiers inside with the gold. It is said that the gold is still in the caves of Neosho somewhere along with the bodies of the soldiers. My friend and I have been searching for about 3 month for this and have recieved much grief from our fellow unbelieving friends, but we are determined to find it. We have searched suggested caves and are now trying to broaden our search.if you have ever heard of this legend or ever researched this legend please contact me at [email protected]

I was told that this cave was in Big Spring park on the east side. A few years back they were trying to find the entrance and did some digging towards the southeast. I had a friend who was much older and he told me that his grandfather was alive when this happened and that he told him where the cave entrance was. There is a house on the east side of the park behind the church and the cave entrance was under the area where the house is now. I have been in this house and the basement is part of the cave area. So basically the cave is probably under the parking lot of the Library. It might also interest you to know that there is an underground area that runs from the men's bathroom in the courthouse on the square to below the street on the side the where you can feed the fish. They say in the men's bathroom of the courthouse you can see where they walled up the door that went into this underground walkway. As a woman I am not allowed in there so of course I have never seen it.

cb4771

Feb 16, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neosho Cave

I have been in the tunnels under the Neosho Square. I am trying to find an entry into the cave too. There is a lady that owns a house behind central school that says there is a sealed entrance in her basement and she wants me to come and drill through the brick to see what is behind it. An old timer told me that where the barn used to be (behind the house you refer to) is where a cave entrance was. An old lady in town who is now deceased was a grand-daughter of one of the soldiers that was sealed in the cave. There must be several branches because the final "sealing" of the cave was in the early 1900's and happened after two boys got lost inside for several hours. They blew the entrance by the barn shut. They dug into that area in the early 1990's and a couple of workers found a chamber inside. There was a table and chair inside and the date 1877 on the wall. One of the workers also found an old revolver and kept it.

Aug 27, 2022
Neosho Cave

I have been in the tunnels under the Neosho Square. I am trying to find an entry into the cave too. There is a lady that owns a house behind central school that says there is a sealed entrance in her basement and she wants me to come and drill through the brick to see what is behind it. An old timer told me that where the barn used to be (behind the house you refer to) is where a cave entrance was. An old lady in town who is now deceased was a grand-daughter of one of the soldiers that was sealed in the cave. There must be several branches because the final "sealing" of the cave was in the early 1900's and happened after two boys got lost inside for several hours. They blew the entrance by the barn shut. They dug into that area in the early 1990's and a couple of workers found a chamber inside. There was a table and chair inside and the date 1877 on the wall. One of the workers also found an old revolver and kept it.
Did you get a chance to visit the house?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions