🥇 BANNER Confederate Navy Officers button (CSN) & The bloody Scarificator!!!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Confederate Navy Officers button (CSN) & The bloody Scarificator!!!

I scored a few pretty neat finds the last couple of days folks.
The first one is an early 1800's bloodletting tool called a "Scarificator", with emphasis on the "SCAR" part. Please check it out on my "what is it" post:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,217365.0.html

Yesterday I finished up the yard where I had found the 1864 double die IH about a week ago. Well, I was on my last section of the back yard and about ready to call it quits, when I dug a button. I threw it in my pouch and headed for home. Today at lunch I took it out, rinsed it and saw the letters "CSN" and a large anchor. I got home and cleaned it up using Buckles button cleaning technique with a dry toothpick on the back and some Naval Jelly (seemed fitting too :tongue3: ) on the front. As you can see she is a BEAUTY!!! It has almost all of the gold gilt still on it too. :thumbsup:
It is a 23mm two piece w/shank. The back mark has "Firmin & Sons , 153 Strand London , & 13 Conduit St."
It is listed in Albert's book as #CS52A. I believe it is mid 1800's, but please correct me if I am wrong. :icon_scratch:
Any idea of the value of this button?
I think this is my best button find so far. :thumbsup:

Other finds were:

*A small decorative locket.

*Broken earring (yes, I broke it!)

*#29 Matchbox firetruck. Any idea on the year?

*A very hilarious dog vaccine tag with " UNSEXED - Female Dog - Virg... " (Virgin or Virginia??? :icon_scratch: )
I'll hold my comments on this one. :tongue3: :icon_jokercolor:

Thanks for looking,
MM

Attachments

• MVC-060S.JPG
    MVC-060S.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 5,148
  • MVC-076S.JPG
    MVC-076S.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 4,773
  • MVC-070S.JPG
    MVC-070S.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 4,726
  • MVC-069S.JPG
    MVC-069S.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 4,717
  • MVC-068S.JPG
    MVC-068S.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 4,766
  • MVC-067S.JPG
    MVC-067S.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 4,784
  • MVC-066S.JPG
    MVC-066S.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 4,844
  • MVC-065S.JPG
    MVC-065S.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 4,862
  • MVC-064S.JPG
    MVC-064S.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 4,870
  • MVC-063S.JPG
    MVC-063S.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 4,909
  • MVC-062S.JPG
    MVC-062S.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 4,935
  • MVC-061S.JPG
    MVC-061S.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 4,927
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Confederate Navy Officers button (CSN) & The bloody Scarificator!!!

tcooper1 said:
Great finds, A very much deserved banner :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thank you TC.
Your brother has a much deserved banner post of CW relics too. I would love to find just one belt plate like he found. :thumbsup:
-MM-

Daniel in NC said:
MM-

That is a great button in unbelievable condition. I found a civil war era button at an old military school in Mt. Pleasant, NC and it came out of the ground very corroded and brittle, probably from the different elements in the soil. Any possibility, you think, that your's was dropped later than in the 1860's? After seeing the ones that I've pulled out, and even some of the coins I dig, the condition is always deteriorated...or is it just the different soil types. Your's is remarkable. Amazing find, great job as always and congrats on the banner. :icon_salut:

-dg

I agree DG.
This button has lived a sheltered life indeed. I have a display case that I put my best button finds in, and this one blows the others away by far. Here's a comparison picture. (not the best lighting though)
I've dug many an old button before, but mostly on plantation & farm properties. This one was dud in town in soft (almost fluffy) very dark soil. I'm thinking either:
a) It avoided fertilizers like the farm ones are subjected to, or
b) Some kid was playing with it sometime after the CW and left it. I did find lots of old cast toys in the yard, so who knows. :icon_scratch:
Either way, I'll keep trying to see if there is another one there to be found. :wink:

Thanks,
MM

Attachments

• MVC-127S.JPG
    MVC-127S.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 190
  • CSN avatar.jpg
    CSN avatar.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 166

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ModernMiner

Congratulations on the find & the banner. How in the world could you part with it. I am like a
little kid with my finds, i get them out and play with them, almost. The only way i could sell any
of my finds is if my little girl looked up at me and said daddy i am hungry. Good luck & congrats
again on a super historic find. This is the best hobby in the world.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: ModernMiner

Deno said:
Congratulations on the find & the banner. How in the world could you part with it. I am like a
little kid with my finds, i get them out and play with them, almost. The only way i could sell any
of my finds is if my little girl looked up at me and said daddy i am hungry. Good luck & congrats
again on a super historic find. This is the best hobby in the world.

Deno,
I'm not parting with it. This one is staying in my collection. I went back today to try to find another one, but only dug rusty nails. :-\
-MM-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Confederate Navy Officers button (CSN) & The bloody Scarificator!!!

al pal 72 said:
Super button find! :thumbsup:

Thanks Al. :thumbsup:

rtde3 said:
That's a dream find Doug! That's what it's all about right there! Congrats Bud, you earned it! :thumbsup:

Thanks Rob.
It's my best find so far. I'll be sending it in as an entry for the Best Finds of 2009. Wish me luck. :wink:
-Doug-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions