Cool scraper

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Scrapers have never fascinated me much. Of course I pick them up, but normally find them again in the glove box of my truck or boat. Today, while working on a big machine, that had me stumped, I stepped away for a minute. While gathering my thoughts and patients, I reached in my coat pocket. I felt a rock, and pulled this out.

image-2324627658.jpg

image-1059606422.jpg

image-3709836413.jpg

image-458615065.jpg

image-3844368905.jpg

image-1232334277.jpg

image-113322512.jpg

My coat pocket is another refind frequent. I washed it off, and was just awed by it. I still can't figure out what this scraper has, that others lack. I think the appeal is in the tough lithic and the wear on it. I think the lithic is greenstone. If I'm correct on that call, that is listed as an unknappable lithic. While this piece isn't highly knapped, the serrated edge is just perfect. The jagged blade is still sharp enough to cut, yet it outlines a perfectly smooth worn stone. I guess this scraper has managed to hold its function as well as its wear. Just as a pocket knife of high quality will today.

Upvote 0
Tnmountains said:
Same material?

TN, sorry for the late reply. I overlooked this some way! I know your first pic is the same material. I'm near certain the second pic is the same material after a nice polished finish. In your first pic, the little dimples in the stone are exactly like the ones in my scraper. I think they are naturally occurring in this lithic. Nice! You came through on this one, and gave me a nice comparison. As for the disk, I could have been a grinding stone. I found a nice hard stone Mano, I'll post in a new thread. Thanks bro!

Thanks man for replying. I do not get back like I should now days eithers. Yeah the dimples are natural but it had to reduction flakes. The platter was for show maybe or just cool. I have had the celt under a microscope the green stone one and there are hundreds of little cut lines all the same depth then they would polish down to the depth of the cuts and continue on. Amazing under magnification. Thank you for replying back. I smelled the Mano btw.

Tnmountains said:
Thanks man for replying. I do not get back like I should now days eithers. Yeah the dimples are natural but it had to reduction flakes. The platter was for show maybe or just cool. I have had the celt under a microscope the green stone one and there are hundreds of little cut lines all the same depth then they would polish down to the depth of the cuts and continue on. Amazing under magnification. Thank you for replying back. I smelled the Mano btw.

Lol!! I'm serious as all get out about that Mano. I started that thread yesterday, while on break at work. When I got home, I rubbed it a couple of times, applying a reasonable amount of pressure, and sure enough, the smell came from it. Who knows? I know I will never believe any thing different. Well, it would take some serious proof that the smell was from something else.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back