What's new

Copper "briefcase" - weird stuff inside it

1491

Hero Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2007
Messages
556
Reaction score
69
Golden Thread
0
Location
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Copper "briefcase" - weird stuff inside it

So, I found this small copper "suitcase" thingy in the wet sand.
Beachcache.jpg

Beachcache4.jpg

It was nicely done, crimped delicately, so of course, I ripped it open with needle nose pliers to see what was inside.
There were a bunch of tightly wrapped pieces of paper inside....... sealed with plastic wrap......
Thought I had found a drug cache.
Beachcache5.jpg

But it wasn't to be. There were small, colored pieces of fabric inside each piece of paper, along with some unknown, stinky item in each.
Beachcache1.jpg

Beachcache2.jpg

I can't make out the writing on the paper, but it definitely isn't English. Maybe this is some kind of religious / burial thing? Anyone out there run into this kind of thing before? I've probably released some evil curse on myself by opening it. - Jim
 
Upvote 0
Re: Copper "briefcase" - weird stuff inside it

it looks like chinese to me -- def a "oriental" language -- so it could be --korean, japanese or chinese

"prayer papers" are often set adrift at sea (or burnt at shines) to be sent to the "gods" for blessings .

often in the folded "prayer papers" is a bit of cloth of the dead persons clothing (or living persons in some cases) and food is inside them --the bit of cloth from the person is from the persons clothing and a food tidbit is a food offering for the "gods" hindus also use them as well often.

I';d say you found a "prayer box" set adrift in the sea --with prayers in it and little offerings in them.
 
Re: Copper "briefcase" - weird stuff inside it

I don't know- but I wouldn't feel comfortable having that in my house. Probably I would try and put it back together and get it back to where it came from.
 
Re: Copper "briefcase" - weird stuff inside it

Superstition only works if you believe in it.
 
Re: Copper "briefcase" - weird stuff inside it

Yeah, I was kidding about the evil curse stuff. I'm a nonbeliever anyway (whole other subject, heh?). Thanks for the replies. One of the more interesting things I've dug up.
 
Re: Copper "briefcase" - weird stuff inside it

Looks like a "secret" treasure map written in a foreign language with bugers stuffed in it to keep people away with disgust from looking at it. Discard the bugers, and try to transcribe the writing to the "hidden" secrets. :read2:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom