Cores/Turtle Backs

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Going through some old boxes of stuff and decided to post these. I've posted much of my stuff over the years but not these. You can see the flakes that were removed to use as blades resulting in the hump back shape. Some obviously were used as scrapers as they have edge wear, others no. The one with the hole in it has a flake scar running its entire length. Side view of a couple. Pretty cool I think.
20220605_141740.jpg
20220605_143059.jpg
20220605_143039.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 9

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice I have some of those hump back ones. Got a large box of preforms and have come to the conclusion they are just blades. Watched a guy peg down a hide real tight and cut the hide.
Nice artifacts.

Last edited:

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a core this weekend, I was explaining what made it a core to someone and I’m not sure they believed me said it just looks like a rock haha. Cores are a tough sell to people that don’t look at artifacts all the time.

OP
OP
newnan man

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Going through some old boxes of stuff and decided to post these. I've posted much of my stuff over the years but not these. You can see the flakes that were removed to use as blades resulting in the hump back shape. Some obviously were used as scrapers as they have edge wear, others no. The one with the hole in it has a flake scar running its entire length.

I found a core this weekend, I was explaining what made it a core to someone and I’m not sure they believed me said it just looks like a rock haha. Cores are a tough sell to people that don’t look at artifacts all the time.
I keep them in boxes or piled around small trees in my yard. They're not much to look at but I like them. Must have been important to the NA's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread