Counterfeit 1853 seated quarter?

jml818

Sep 26, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was really excited when i popped the seated quarter out, but it only rang up as 72-74, so that was strange. The sound in earphones was nice but not that sweet silver sound. Then i started cleaning and noticed corrosion, it was not silver at all, bummer. This coin is of that era because found draped bust not too far away and these are old woods.
Anyone know about this counterfeiting, or how often do these posts appear? maybe its rare but its well toasted.

Attachments

• IMG_2491.JPG
    IMG_2491.JPG
    511.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_2492-1.JPG
    IMG_2492-1.JPG
    600.3 KB · Views: 82

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My experience with counterfeit silver coins is that they were made from lead or pewter, but that's just my experience. I have found several counterfeits over the years and really enjoy having them as they are a rare find. Keep in mind that someone went through great effort to make these coins and that a quarter dollar was worth something back then and worth counterfeiting !!! My guess is that your coin is a brass or copper base metal plated by silver, but that's only my guess. Keep in mind that your coin is not entirely worthless. There are collectors of counterfeit coins and they are not illegal to have, unless you attempt to spend them or defraud someone by presenting it as legal tender. It's a really cool find and I have never seen one like that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it magnetic? The back looks like it says Quarter? Definitely not a real Half dime.

Upvote 0

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it magnetic? The back looks like it says Quarter? Definitely not a real Half dime.
Uhmm, Yeah, looks like it say's Quarter, but I have beer googles on. Are you sure it's not a half dime ? Be sure to let us know.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uhmm, Yeah, looks like it say's Quarter, but I have beer googles on. Are you sure it's not a half dime ? Be sure to let us know.
This is definitely not a half dime. Is it the size of a half dime? The details are consist to the 1853 seated Quarter in Arrows next to date and Rays on reverse. A very beautiful and unique type coin as rays did not appear for long may only be that year? If it is of correct size it may be real and attacked by fertilizer as mentioned above.

Upvote 0

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow I was definitely on Beer Gogles as I read the tile as Dime not Quarter Geez time for me to retire

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions